Help-my car has started to smoke intermitantly-its grey oil smoke and the car is using about 1l of oil every 500 miles.

The car doesn't smoke on startup,tickover or when thrashed,only when pulling away from a junction or accelerating from low speed and then only about once every 20 miles or more.

I recently removed the cat and it has seemed to have started since. ?!

The isv , throttle body and breathers have all been cleaned

the car has covered 120k and the engine is sweet (no funny noises) and the car is well looked after with regular oil changes,although last change i used a different brand of oil,not the normal synta silver.

A mate has suggested i change the oil and filter,so ill be doing that in the morning.

Any ideas anyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!! &|

The oil is 10-40 semi synth' date='but maybe its just crap :o and it needs changing sooner than 5k.If the engine was worn wouldn't it smoke all the time????[/quote']

You could change up to a thicker oil for starters B)

mine need's topping up every 5000miles if driven hard or on motorway, I use 10-40 magnetic.......the oil is changed every 10000 miles....as for signs of smoke........I can only go on my old 8v........it started needing to be toped up every 1000 miles then the smoke started to appear when warm on occasion if driven hard on ....I know the 8v's used to suffer with the valve guides and stem seals...so a head rebuild may take care of it B)

You could start by taking each spark plug out to see which one's are getting oiled up in some cases.......this could also give you an indication on the engines health.....btw the 8v was on 180000 :P;)

[ Edited Fri Sep 10 2004, 11:58PM ]

• 3 weeks later...

Update,car went to autotechnik for a check over.

leak down test very good only -3psi on one cyl.

bore scope revealed nice clean valves little wear in bores but some slight glazing.

The next step is to have the valve stem seals done as theyre bound to be hard at 120k and to hopr that this cures the smoking ~:(

I only started to notice the smoke after i replaced the cat with a supersprint de-cat pipe.Alan at autotechnik says that cats tend to burn the smoke before it exits the exhaust.

He also says that a drop of 3 psi on one cyl is no problem and that they dont worry until its a 20 psi drop.

• 3 weeks later...

The car was diagnosed properly with a leak down test and inspection of the bores with a bore scope,both tests finding no problems.The only thing was to start at the cheapest option the valve stem seals as at 120k miles they were likely to be dodgy.Unfortunately during the top strip they found 2 of the tensioner rails were broken and with the box out i may as well have a clutch.So this is where the £857 came from and now with the car back it still smokes on a trailing throttle so next thing has to be rings.Anyone know if its a difficult job as i have access to a pit and may have a go to try and save money as the car is only worth a couple of grand i cant justify spending much more on it. &|