Looking for a Good VR6 Auto - few questions

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing an automatic VR6 for the mrs. I have been looking around for considerable time now but I havn't found one matching a spec I am after (I would really like climatronic basically)

Since its an automatic i'm being really choosy about what I go for.

What year should I be going after? Apart from the 1995 switchover, is there any difference between 1996-7/8, as I noticed the engine cover changed from "DOHC" to "VR6 - 2.8", was this purely a cosmetic change, or did they update some other things?

What mileage do you lot think would be reasonable? 100k is quite a lot for an auto box imho (especially if it hasn;t been maintained). Any things I should look for if I go to view one?

Cheers :)

Oh PS it's nice to see some acceptance of the automatic transmission here, i get fed up of "automatic is rubbish" everywhere :)

Well in reality the Auto box on a VR is a cruser - To me if you like auto then the VR is the car for you. The changeover on the box is quite early which means alot less strain on the engine. So 100k in and auto is like 80k on a manual IMO.

Just make sure the gearbox oil gets changed offen and she should run like a dream.

I'm a manual boy, I live for the engine brake etc but I'd def rather my misses drive an auto as i feel it'll look after her more...... Sadly she has a MR2 Roadster and is a looney :-(

Wife wants something small, hence my reason for the VR6 (we currently have a golf Mk3 and will be keeping it anyway).

Mileage does not bother me apart from the auto gearbox, considering the manual suggests the 95+ gearbox is sealed for life and has no dipstick, its more than likely most of them haven't been properly maintained :(