Which VR6???

HI, I am loking at 2 VR6 s on Friday.

I only have a budget of £1300, and am looing for reliability over looks or resale value. Oh and I want 5 doors.

1995 N reg 119000 miles, Highline, Purple with leathers etc, Good interior, some bubbling on wheel arches, VW history upto 60,000 only, new clutch. Seller has owned vehicle for 6 months Selling because can't afford to insure as main car. Needs wheel bearing. Debadged Grill. £1400.

1996, P reg, 140000 miles FSH with receipts, good condition, new ABS and front tires, 5 dr black. Good interior. £1250. Owner works for BMW dealership, Finance dept. £1250.

Heart says Purple highline, head says Black P reg.

What do you think?

It's difficult to say without seeing them. Read the buyers guide fully before you go so as to know what to look out for.

I am surprised that the N reg one didn't have the chains and tensioners done at the same time as the clutch. What else has been skimped on? Money does seem to be an issue for the current owner.

Which ever you go for let your head rule, hearts can be fickle things with no regard for money!

I bought the P reg (actually an 'N' reg Jan 1996), which considering the mileage was in really good condition, 3 owners (1st up to 12 months ago) the other two work at the same BMW dealership. I had it MOT'd before I bought it and got £250 off the asking price as it needed new discs and pads at the front.

I cannot get over how smooth the engine is, and the mpg seems better than I feared. Just neds a little tidying up and then we can have some fun! ;)

Thanks for all your advice.