Buying/viewing advice

I'm off to see a Highline or 2 tomorrow morning. They are both black 3 doors, with just over 100k. Both have had head gaskets done, along with a fair few bits of work, and one looks to be particularly good condition. I could do with some advice on what sort of thing to look for, be it highline specific or general MK3 VR6 stuff. Am i right in thinking that the Highline black magic colour has a hint of gold?? Things like that!

Cheers

Check the obvious things that you would on a normal car make sure you have ago with all the gadgets i.e sunroof heated seats air con windows etc to see if they work.

highlines will always have highline on the log book so if it hasn't the owners havin a laugh! other highline features are wooden gear knob courtesy lights in front doors twin airbags heated seats full leather rear headrests the vr6 badges are smaller and are in black and silver i'm sure there are loads more but I cant remember off the top of my head ! Rusty places on the vr are on 3 doors they go by the inner weather strip along the sills, rear arches and check all round the windows also tailgates are prone to spots of rust as well. Try and get one with service history and yes the highline colour is black magic or also its known as diamond black if the suns out you will see lots of metalic flake in thh paint ("girlie comment" its very pretty)

Good luck :-)

might be worth enquiring whther the timing chians and runners have been replaced...though with later cars it's less of an issue (though i've still yet to 100% confirm this).

check all electrical items carefully. when i was looking for a vr6, mine was the first i saw that didn't have either a window or a sunroof not working.

here's another one, if you really want to get picky. the date of manufacture is printed on the underside of the front wishbones, if its at least as old as the date of registration of the vehicle (and it may be older as some parts are stored for a while before being used) you knwo the vehicel has never had a serious crash. if they've been changed the date will be newer than the car, not saying its a problem, but would warrant further questions. especially if they claim the cars never been crashed.

oh, and here's the biggest...suspension bushes. check the rear beams ones especially...at that mileage they may be starting to wear. costs about £200 to fix. also check the front wishbone bushes (rear one in particular), probably another £250 to replace them...useful way of knocking the price down.

hey acf, i know you said its not an issue, but a different date on the wishbones doesnt actually mean the cars had a crash. as i am going to change mine due to the bushes being worn and in need of replacement, and it is easier to replace the wishbone than just the bushes. just so he doesnt check and find a newer date and knock a perfectly good car due to thinking its been crashed, when its just been well looked after.

Apart from everything else mentioned above....the other big thing is crash damage. Check the boot floor, should have the original VW sticker on it containing info about the car...ie, paint code etc etc.

Check that the panel gaps are even and the obvious dodgy 'orange-peel' paintwork of a shoddy repair job.

Their were 4 variations of Black Magic paint on the Highline's...all subtley different.

Happy Hunting.

well, it's not a bad one in my eyes! I've got an N plate in black, 3 door, interior is excellent (as new in fact) despite the fact that it has 103k on the clock. It has a couple of light dings on the bodywork that should pull out OK but aren't that obvious anyway. It has a little bubble of rust on one rear arch and a little bit either side under the door seals, but i spoke to Greg Howell of Southam Autobodies yesterday and he's going to do it all for me with any luck. Otherwise, it's pretty mint, sat on near immaculate standard Solitudes, lowered (but not in the slightest bit hard or bouncy, lovely ride), full s/s exhaust and a Green induction kit (which i'll tak eof and replace with a standard box until i can afford a CDA. Pick it up this week once he's put 12 months ticket on it and hopefully have everything ready for next years show season!!