Hiccup at low revs

Guest richard

Hi all. Bought a P reg with 75k on the clock at the weekend. Nice example and very pleased with the power but getting hesitation at low revs (1000-2000 rpm), almost a hiccup or judder before power kicks in. Pre-purchase RAC inspection didn't spot anything. Hope not serious - can anyone help?

Guest richard

Good thinking - have just had diagnostic done at friendly tuning clinic here in Edinburgh. Coil and leads are fine but they're picking up VW error code 1247 - 'Canister Purge Valve Defective'. Any ideas? how easy this would be to remedy? Cheers.

Guest richard

More detail on the symptoms: no power at 1000-2000 rpm when trying to pull away quickly in any gear, then after 1 second it hiccups, occasionally the exhaust pops (just the once) and the power comes rushing in. I'm told it's because of a build-up of excess gas vapour that should be vented off through this 'purge valve' to the catalytic converter - the mixture gets too rich. Am getting it sorted this weekend and will report back. Tuning clinic advise that otherwise engine is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

i've got ec=xactly the same prob..been tryin to find out what it is for two months...and i have never had a conclusive answer. am desperatly tryin to get someone to lend me vag-com but no-ones in my area (i'm broke and can't afford to buy it).

so far i've been told it could be...

coil-pack,

fuel pump,

leads,

cam sensor,

and i'm sure theres another one!!

i also get a strong fuel smell when i've just filled the car up (although this is recent).

does yours sometimes have a good day when it doesn't so it?

i live in maidenhead, berks...J8/9 of M4.

yeah, there is the dealership...but i ain't payin about £50 for them to plug a computer into my car (i simply can't afford it, but i wouldn't on principle...i'd rather get a friendly person to do it at a meet and buy them a few beers/maccy d's/etc..)

main prob is that most people have obd2, and don't have the adapter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Good thinking - have just had diagnostic done at friendly tuning clinic here in Edinburgh. Coil and leads are fine but they're picking up VW error code 1247 - 'Canister Purge Valve Defective'. Any ideas? how easy this would be to remedy? Cheers.

The canister purge valve is the black plastic bit with an electrical connector on it that is in the middle of the black hose running between the carbon canister and the upper inlet manifold ... did that make sense? dont think that'll be whats causing the problem tho

• 11 months later...

Hi! My car has started doing this backfiring kind of sound between 2-3k Rpm then the power kicks in & Im off! Did anyone get to the bottom of this prob? Its quite annoying! Im im accelerating hard it seems fine but if Im cruising and put my foot down slowly i sometimes get the misfire at low revs