ABS fault, any advice? And can you recode a controller?

I?ve got a bit of a problem with my ABS. It?s a VR6 / 96 with the pump and ECU (TEVES 20) together under the bonnet. The ABS light came on, so I got VAG-COM and checked the fault. It said rear right sensor not working. So I checked it, OK resistance. Cleaned it anyway. Swapped the connectors with the left one and the same code came up. I?ve unplugged and replugged the ECU, can?t think of anything else to do. Am I right, is it either a bad connecting/broken wire or is the ECU knackered?

Can anyone tell me how to recode an ABS controller? I?ve got one from Ebay and I have the software but I?m unsure how to recode it??

Any help is greatly appreciated, I?ve read every thread and I?m none the wiser.

I think thinking about re-coding the ECU is a bit extreme at this point. more than likely it's going to be a broken wire, as they arn't made of much, dont forget the ecu will store the error in memory until the car is driven for a short time. so just replace the duff sensor and see how u get on. for the sakes of £30 from GFS.

Thanks for the reply. It can't be the sensor, I swapped the channels, reversed the cables and got the exact same fault code. I've also checked the continuity of the wiring in the loom to the ECU plug and its continuous. Has to be something in the ECU, trouble is I can't recode as its looking for a login code.

When i had to replace the rear's on mine i got gen vw ones £72 each including vat, ive allso had a quote of £59 ish + vat from the g&s...................i know the fronts are supposed to be allot cheaper.........minty replaced the front on his 20vt....they cost about £30 quid!

[ Edited Sun Sep 12 2004, 08:54AM ]

Rear sensors are alot dearer than the fronts - i paid about £65 for one on my Fathers Mk3 Gti not so long ago - after you swap the sensor you have to get the fault codes cleared - it doesnt matter if you swap it from one side to the other - the fault code will still be stored...

Pete.

Rear sensors are alot dearer than the fronts - i paid about £65 for one on my Fathers Mk3 Gti not so long ago - after you swap the sensor you have to get the fault codes cleared - it doesnt matter if you swap it from one side to the other - the fault code will still be stored...

Pete.