replacing factory fit speakers?

Hi guys i'm thinking of putting some nice tunes in my vr but want to keep it lo-key & have nothing on show inside the car so I want to put new stuff in place of the factory items.

I know that theres the 2 in the dash,2 in the door & 4 in the rear interior panels but how big are they?My local audio retailers are a bit poo & a bit 'unhelpful' as I have seen stuff lots cheaper in the mags & on ebay & will probably buy from there.

Any idea what sizes I need?

Help! :?

Yep. In each corner of the car you've got one standard 17cm (or 6.5") speaker and one small tweeter.

17cm is a pretty standard size so you'll have lots of options that just slot straight in. As for the tweeters, changing them will involve cutting a hole to fit the new one, which isn't too big a problem as they're nicely hidden away and it won't look messy.

The best option is to get component speakers (speaker and matched tweeter) and replace them all, but that's not a cheap option. It entirely depends on how much you have to spend!

get components, put the main speaker in the door and the tweeter under the covers onthe dah (may have to make a wooden thingy to hold them, altho my calibers (top speakers for little money by the way) came with a metal bracket that'll hold them.

wiring's the biggest problem, the original front speakers wrok by havin one cable go from the h/unit to the dash speaker, which has another cable go donw to the door speaker. you'll never be able to run new thick cables through into the door (with out drilling), so i just used the existing cables for the whole lot, and mounted the two way crossover under the dash speaker.

Ive got infinity kappa components front and back...with a 12inch kapper sub....sound very nice and a big improvment over standard....always buy on line or out of the mag's as few shops can compete price wise!

Ive used www.msc-direct.co.uk and www.caraudiocentre.com in the past! :)

sony.jpg

[ sony.jpg ]

most components come with 3 way crossovers...

there's three sets of terminals on the crossover...one is input (from headunit), then theres one output to tweeters, and a second output to main speaker.

should be marked on it.

alteritavely, there could just be an in-line crossover that goes in the wire goin to the tweeter, which in turn connects from the main speaker.

How is the wiring in the vr6 though? Its a tweeter and a main speaker. Does the wirering from the main speaker go to the crossover, or do you take the main wire from the headunit and if so, where abouts from? Ie do I need to run new wires from the headunit, or is the existing wire easy to get to, before it splits to the two speakers? (Does that make sense?!)

the wire goes from the h/unit to the tweeter, then another wire comes out of the tweeter and goes straight down to the door speaker.

i used the existing wires and mounted the crossovers under the tweeter....h/unit to tweeter became h/unit to crossover, and tweeter to main speaker became crossover to main speaker. i then just added a new wire from crossover to tweeter.

simplest way, you don't have to deal with getting a new wire through the door plug. i like nice sounding systems, but i'm not OTT on stereo so it's good enough for me, obviously if you wanted a mental set up you'd upgrade all the wires.

rear's are easy, wire goes from h/unit to main speaker, and then another wire goes from main speaker to tweeter.

easy to get to once you remove the main speaker (no need to remove door cars), and there's lots of room to mount crossovers.

this is for a 3 door by the way, i don't know about 5 doors, i expect they're are the same but the wire goes through another door plug thingy.

i have a set of dynaudio compents in the front which are classed as 7" speakers fit fine they are well pricey tho but for me worth ever penny

if you want wicked sounds in the front dynamat the door cards

fit larger cables throw the door gromet by drilling a hole in the spare connector holes

and although you want it stealthy i have tried loads of places for the tweeters and half way up the a-pillars sounds by far the best a pain to mount but the sound is amazing

hope this is a help

p.s cheapest is not always best as getting on with your local shop can really help