Awesome's Diagnosis - Price Update!

Well after getting the car dragged to Awesome GTI, they've come back with a list of things that needs doing. They can't get a price for anything til Monday for obvious reasons! Any ideas for this lot? Some I already have a vague idea.

New MAF sensor. (£230ish from VW Dealer?)

ECU Speed Sensor (Haven't a clue)

Blue temp sensor (£10)

Brake Caliper (£50 already bought)

They also said that the plug had being modified so they couldn't replace the Lambda Sensor I'd bought?? That I don't get?

Any ideas on the speed sensor? Thats the big mystery price wise for me?

Cheers!

Got a phone call from Mike (general manager) to give me an update.

As he was passing the 'finished and running fine' Corrado of mine it just cut out and refused to start again!

He got Jim??? onto the case and they ended up checking the engine loom, fuel pump (which was not working and then was working again whilst they were working on it?) and various other parts, bearing in mind that several sensors including the £220 MAF sensor had already being replaced!

As luck would have it (at least for me) another VR6 Corrado turned up with a blown headgasket and a failed clutch, meaning some swapsies for testing purposes only was possible!

On a hunch he swapped the ECU over and since then it's being faultless and in Jims words 'absolutely flies' now! 8)

They've sourced another ECU and fit it (between £100-£150) which is fine, but my next question was "if this thing is telling you whats wrong is faulty in itself, could it actually mean that the sensors are in fact fine and the ECU was reading them wrong?"

A bit of testing later using my original MAF, and it's running perfectly! So although its costing me another £100-£150 for the ECU I no longer need to spend £220-£250 on the MAF etc as it's fine!

So, looks like its properly sorted now but it's being a pain and would explain why its taken so long for various garages (going on about a year now!) to figure out whats going on.

Phew!

Well, got the final bill now!

I did ask if it could be capped a little but I guess the extra labour they've spent on it has totted up a bit! Hardly capped IMO but hey ho!

£360ish on parts (thats without the MAF! thank god I didn't need that!)

£400ish on labour!

Total - £769 inc VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it's about right and thanks to the dead Rado the fault was actually found but it's still an awful lot right after Xmas!

Couple that with the fact that someone rear ended the van on Monday and it appears he is un-insured, this has being a **** week!

Well' date=' got the final bill now!

I did ask if it could be capped a little but I guess the extra labour they've spent on it has totted up a bit! Hardly capped IMO but hey ho!

£360ish on parts (thats without the MAF! thank god I didn't need that!)

£400ish on labour!

Total - £769 inc VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it's about right and thanks to the dead Rado the fault was actually found but it's still an awful lot right after Xmas!

Couple that with the fact that someone rear ended the van on Monday and it appears he is un-insured, this has being a **** week!

[/quote']

I think its known as sods law.

At least your back up and running now!