Opinions on the MK5 Golf Gti??

Hello All,

My wife quite fancies the MK5 Gti, so we are currently looking for one, anyone knows what these cars are like, common issues to look for on test drives and so on? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also read somewhere that the DSG gearboxes are problematic, not sure what to go on?

Thanks

I love mine!! I've got a red 5 door Mk5 (which my wife uses most of the time) and it's a lovely car to drive, fuel not too bad either (managed average 33mpg on a run to France last year and wasn't hanging about). We've got the standard manual box though.

Best car vw have made in my opinion, my brother has one with dsg and revo'd to 270 bhp. he's hade it 5 months and has coverd 16k miles with no problems what so ever. i belive the dsg box can handle 400bhp before problems arive.

Agreed, awesome power with a Revo map. Mark has an Edition 30 and matched with the DSG it's a match performance wise with Millsy's Turbo'd Syncro (albeit on low boost!) a good 300bhp though. I just can't get over how good the DSG is.

I even looked at an E46 M3 SMG over Christmas and the salesman had no argument with me when we were discussing semi auto boxes, the DSG wins hands down considering all the bad press SMG has had.

I'm struggling to decide over a new R32 or Ed30 with a Map. The whole tunability issue between the two is completely throwing me.

• 1 month later...

how does it compare with the vr6

will u put a revo chip on the gti l

should give it a kick about 40-50 bhp ?

how many cars do u have at the mo must be like a carpark

No comparison really, however I think the VR comes quite close on ther 1/4 mile but never really had it RR'd so don't really know what it is capable off *-) , but this car is awesome, the interior, features, handling is the best, just sticks to the road. Would love to have it remapped but really can't afford it at the mo, need to sell the vr first. Do miss the noise from the vr though. Three cars for now, well unless somone takes the vr :)

Cheers

I think the VR comes quite close on ther 1/4 mile

iv had a blast against my brother be for the remap he got away first and had a small leed on me but up around the 100 mark i started reeling him in (private road oh course ;) )

Best of luck with the mk5 mate! blacks the best!!

iv had a blast against my brother be for the remap he got away first and had a small leed on me but up around the 100 mark i started reeling him in (private road oh course ;) )

Best of luck with the mk5 mate! blacks the best!!

Does the VR have more torque then?