[moved] overheating woes

:( hello all

my vr6 is over heating big time !

all was fine driving it casually stop for some fuel , then as i went off down a side road i noticed the temp gauge had gone past the normal 90degrees and was heading all the way back round !!! stoped the car opened the bonnet to find the water bottle shooting with steam , very HOT ! let things cool off for a while filled the water back up then it was ok again , just sat there at 90 all the way back :| i keep having to fill up the water bottle as its going some where but i cannot see where as its not spilling over my garage floor. Do you think not running it for about a month is bad for it ?

please help

sonny R

Dear mina

am i complaining noooooooo

id like the car to be in one pice (for a change)

besides im not the one moaning about the creeks and the rattles , so pick up urs and dont throw it out ur PRAM again !

!amazed

on a serious note

not gunna use no dodgy garages!

got it booked in with vw for tuesday.

theres no smoke from that and no water in the oil

what else could it be ?

hi,

My vr6 did exactly this soon after I bought it, it boiled up a couple of times. Did a compression test and found two cylinders right down on pressure. removed the head and found some corrosion. Had the head skimmed by 4 thou and valves recut to match, put it all back together and has been superb since. VW quoted £800 minimum just to take head off and inspect, extra for any work required. It cost me less than £300 including the skim, gaskets, bolts, cleaning etc.

Think this corrosion is quite common and generally attributed to wrong anti freeze/mixed anti freeze. Hope this helps.

I'd worry if it's steaming but mine can vary between 92 around town to 110 in the fast lane!!!!!!!!!!! :o

is that your water temp or oil temp?

my water temp says bang in the middle of the gauge and never moves but my oil temp is like yours

Binliner, yeap thats the oil temp that's up and down like a whore's drawers the water is as you say stuck in the middle when warm.