Tapping noise from engine when cold

Hi all when it is very cold overnight my engine has quite an audiable tapping noise for about 30secs to a minuite I hope that is just beacuse the oil is heavy and thick the car has 63k miles comp standard and runs on10/40 semi-synthectic oil.Is this normal for a VR engine as I say it only does it if is is very cold fine otherwise and when warm it is as good as silent.Can this do any long term damage? Should I use a different oil? I obviously dont take the engien over 3K till it up to full running temp..many thanks for any info

my is a little noisey when cold for a sec or 2 until the oil has pumped around, just sounds like one of those sketchy vr noises to me, like the whine it makes aswell when cold. Try changing the oil to VW synta silver and a new filter and keep an eye on it, surprising how much they like fresh oil and the improvment it makes

Cheers Xyber change oil every 3k and its about due now,Yes she has the standard cold morning whine as well,did a search on prev posts and sounds more or less what your`e saying (VR noises),The car only makes the tapping for a few seconds and only when the weather is very cold otherwise its fine cheers for the reply..