Hi everybody, this i my first post, so I hope that it makes sense...

I have a '95 HIGHLINE VR6 and love it but fancy a bit more. I have changed the exhaust and have a K&N cone filter on at the moment but wondered what people's experience was of chipping and fitting gas flowed throttle bodies etc.

An advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all the other posts too, they have been a great help already.

PS. Does anyone have a VAG COM link. If so, are they any good ?

Thanks

If you have an early VR6 like mine, the throttle body and chip make a big difference - you'd about 190bhp when coupled with a K&N.

Late VR6s (including Highlines like yours) had a higher output than early ones - they produce 185ish anyway. They've got different engine management and a slightly different throttle body (I believe it's the same size, but electronically controlled). In short, VW has already chipped them and uprated the TB so there's no point in you doing it.

If you've got £500 burning a hole in your pocket and haven't done your suspension yet, do that. For more speed, you'll need to think about cams (even better top end, even worse low end), a VSR manifold (brilliant, but £1500) or forced induction (£2000+).

Jules (jcorallo) has a VAG-COM. They're handy if you've got problems.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already changed the suspension which was definitely money well spent as it is now a much firmer ride.

So it doesn't look like there is much to be gained from changing then chip or TB.....

If I were to go for cams, do you know if it is a big job to do ?

I guess that one of the main things that I wanted to improve was the power at low revs as it doesn't seem to really go until about 3.5-4k.

I have also heard a few people talk about cleaning the TB. Is it worthwhile having a look ? If so, is it easy to get to ?

Many thanks

If you want power at low revs, cams aren't the way forward, if anything they make low-end power worse. Not an easy job to fit either. The only real answer to your problem is a VSR manifold.

The throttle body's not hard to fit, it's at the rear of your engine, and held on by a couple of clips and about four bolts.

Thanks for all your help. It looks like the VSR is the way to go then !

I've had a quick look around but I presume that second hand ones rarely come up for sale...

Can anyone recommend the best place to get one. I am based in Kent and may have to start saving !!

Thanks again...