[moved] vr6- loss of top end power.

Hi all. Ive recently bought a 97 highline golf which has ok power at bottom end but doesnt pull very well towards top end of revs. It has been on a rolling road and produces 170 flywheel and 120 at the wheels. It has standard NGK plugs,bosch leads and has had a new crank sensor, cam sensor, and MAF. Can anyone think of what else may be the problem? Thanks.

Hi all. Ive recently bought a 97 highline golf which has ok power at bottom end but doesnt pull very well towards top end of revs. It has been on a rolling road and produces 170 flywheel and 120 at the wheels. It has standard NGK plugs' date='bosch leads and has had a new crank sensor, cam sensor, and MAF. Can anyone think of what else may be the problem? Thanks.

[/quote']

HOLY CR@P! That's a lot of power loss through transmittion!!! :o

Also the rr op scanned the ecu with a lap top and the only code left on was a rpm sensor. Would I have to go to a main dealer for vagcom? Maybe its worth one last try to fix before I get another engine...

Craggsy is a friendly chap with VAG-COM who lives in Leicester.

I spoke to someone at Stealth and they reckoned I should be seeing 140-150 at the wheels, which would be nice. I would like a 1.8 T in it but that would be too pricey. will probably save cash and get a 2.9 conversion unless someone can find where my extra power is being lost...

• 1 month later...

Yes I did. I replaced a load of sensors first which wasted a load of cash.I was really close to binning the car but took it to stealth, who diagnosed a bad superchip and incorrect cam timing.Neither of these problems would ve come up on vag com either.There is no substitute for knowledge and experience.