black box now with pics ov the box LOOKIE

when u look at the engine at the back of it there is a little black box with 3 pipes coming out of it.oe on left and the other 2 are at the bottom.what is it ????? mine seams to be leaking aka letting air from it just want to know what it is so i can get a new one any help please cheers

it is NOT the idle stabilisation valve! the isv is connected to it though.

it is described as a "damper".

not sure what it does - think it alters the airflow into the idle valve as it has some kind of gauze inside it..

click for bigger pic.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1191175179_594_FT197864_damper.jpg]1191175179_594_FT197864_damper_.jpg[/lightbox]

unfortunately not cleanable or fixable. buy a new one. :-(

it is NOT the idle stabilisation valve! the isv is connected to it though.

it is described as a "damper".

not sure what it does - think it alters the airflow into the idle valve as it has some kind of gauze inside it..

click for bigger pic.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1191175179_594_FT197864_damper.jpg]1191175179_594_FT197864_damper_.jpg[/lightbox]

unfortunately not cleanable or fixable. buy a new one. :-(

Apologies. I was close though eh? :P

cheers for all your help all so its a new damper time

Is there definitely a leak? I think mine's leaking too in that case. There's a pretty loud hissing sound! :(

How did you test it? Or did you take it off?

not done any thing all i could hear was a hissing sound when i was driving and it started to bug me.so when i got home i popped the bonnet with engine still running and found this box to be leaking air.dont know if its sucking it out or letting it out.i grabbed it and the hissing got quiter so that was the problem :$

not had a chance to sort it but i will just get a new one then sorted

hi people mine makes that noys to so took it off pluged up all but 1 of the holes and pressuried it with my compressor and there was no leak so checked the pipes leading to it no leak there either but dose sound like it leaking so would say check first as mine isnt leaking so dont need to replace it

There is only to pipes on this box the small one is sealed think it is just a plug to hold it in place ( I know this cause I took mine apart looking for a leak after i heard hissing).

I read about how oil leaks past the seals and up into the ISV and can cause it to start sticking when you take the black box off its quite minging inside so i just presumed it was some sort of oil catch to protect the ISV. Don't take this as gospel like i said its only a guess but i hope it helps.