I've owned the highline for a about 3 months now and I love it.

The only thing that's bothering me is the consumption. I drive the car really carefully but I can't seem to get it above 30. Even on long motorway journies, when I'm cruising about 70-80, the car is only returning an average of 29mpg.

I've heard loads of stories of people getting up to 40mpg but I'm really struggling to get anywhere near.

The car is completely standard. I was wondering if fitting an induction kit would help to make the engine breathe easier.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

try using it with the rev counter past 4 - it's much more fun and this justifies the extra fuel consumption as the noise becomes like an addiction and before you know you are driving forty miles out of your way to find a long tunnel to listen to it in!!

Sorry, got a bit carried away there :)

LOL at the replies..:)

I was never expecting the return I got from my old MK2 8v GTI (I've got a photo of it doing 50mpg)

but when I speak to people who tell me stories of 35pmg upwards I want to know what's going on. When I first bought the car I was getting that; I got 36 on a run and I was happy, but things have dropped off.

You reckon a good service would be in order?

I only look at my fuel gauge to see if I have petrol......don't bother too much with mpg, but when on motorways cruising i get between 30 and 35 mpg. Its meant for driving not worrying about fuel. As long as you fill it up before the red it'll be happy

The oil can make a difference. I found mine made more mpg (not sure how) when I started using Quantum Synta Silver 10w 40, which is the recommended make to use. Plus if you can get to a tesco that does it, try their tesco 99 ron super unleaded. It's far better than normal super unleaded which is normally 97 ron, but will make your engine run more efficiently and therefore have higher mpg. Could need a slight service or tune as worn out spark plugs will make your engine run less efficiently. If I cruise about 65-70mph (can't normally do much more anyway as there is so much traffic these days) I get 35-40mpg. However if I take the car up to 80mph it will only average around 30mpg. Driving at 80mph will make a big difference to consumption compared to 65-70mph. I now drive at around this speed and save around £15 a week...approx £600 a year!

I just tested it today and driving up to 80mph (which you say you do) results in around 30mpg, but driving at 65-70mph gets 36-37mpg. I'd say that's the reason in a nutshell.

i had a mazda rx7 pushing 500whp. then you need to worry about fuel onsumption. around town steady i got about 6mpg. showing off scaring the passenger. gallons per mile!! it had a pair of 850cc primary injetors. 2 x 1680cc secondary injectors and an extra a pair of 1680 in the plenum. you could watch fuel gauge drop.!! at WOT.

You should have been in with me last sunday, just over a quarter of a tank in 36 miles.... But ohh the smile on my face was worth every penny,,138 and climbing { on a private road of course. i think they call it theA40}} dont worry about MPG Just enjoy the beast....