hey peeps,

right ive had a prob with my car pressurising the header tank for ages now, well since ive had the car!

ive never got to the bottom of it, well today i took the thermostat out and had a look.....and found that some one has drilled two holes in it?? well i put a new one in and now it boils up straight away, all the pipes are rock solid.. so i got pissed off and took the head off.

i think the head gasket has gone on one cylinder, also i noticed that bits of my old water pump were wedged in the water ways in the gasket!!

so i thought well ill just change the gasket and skim the head , until i seen the chain guides. the front one is snapped in two, and the back one is wafer thin!! i can replace the front one, but cant see how to change the back one??

what i need to know is....Do i have to remove the gearbox to remove the bottom chain cover???

and to top it off i snapped the back engine mount on the way home!!!!

all in all not a gd day...

its the top chain guide,, but now im thinking if the tops are fucked the bottom chain guides maybe to?? is it ok to just replace all the guides and not the chain? its only got to last till my 2.9 engine has been built??

pics!!!!!!!

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0368.jpg]1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0368_.jpg[/lightbox]

do i have to remove box to change this guide??

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0369.jpg]1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0369_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0370.jpg]1183502633_2891_FT182646_bild0370_.jpg[/lightbox]

Have a search around for "timing chains" - it's been covered thousands of times!

But as a guide, mine are getting done right now, all the parts needed cost £198 from VW and my mechanic reckons around £250 labour, probably having a new clutch also whilst the box is off..

Chris

Not worth the risk mate - Anyway not sure if you can do the bottom tensioner without taking the gearbox out anyway (someone will confirm this) so the chains may as well be done too, and clutch. Mainly for peace of mind but if the chains do need doing in the future you don't want the hassle of having to take the gearbox out all over again.

right tonite i fitted new chains and guides, timed it all up, and bolted flywheel, clutch and box bk on, just waiting head to come bk from machine shop... one thing tho is i cant see any timing marks on the crank pulley???

tonite i finished putting my car bk together...

started first time aswell, well chuffed, and saved my self £££'s

in the end i changed the following

rear engine mount

chains and guides/tensioners

mk4 3 layer head gasket and bolts

rebuilt obd2 head/plastic rocker cover

ive painted my inlet manifold aswell, coz it was so dirty, and didnt have time to polish it..lol

post sum pics 2moz.. tbh honest it wasnt as bad job as i thought... enjoyed it aswell..