Tweaking on a budget.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love my Golf III VR6 and I would love to mod it a little. They would also know that in my world I put my family first, then my car. So I embark on my crusade to find Golf tweaks that have little impact on the budget.

OBJECTIVE: Improve my beloved Golf at minimal cost. This will include little technical changes and some minor repair/replacement (the car is ten years old!).

I will post what I did, how much it cost, and the effects at each stage.

Cheers.

Yes first phase done....

1. Removed cone and replaced air filter with K&N panel filter. big difference to acceleration - much smoother especially from 2000 - 3000 rpm. COST: AU$120.

2. Removed large "suitcase" muffler at mid-exhaust. Undoubtedly free-er flowing exhaust (that is one huge, heavy muffler), nice note externally. Internally it is a little loud from about 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm. Probably acceptable for most drivers but I would prefer a deeper, subdued note maybe about 25% quieter. COST: AU$90 - Will discuss options with my exhaust man, possibly a straight thru or offset sport muffler at mid-exhaust. Will keep the original muffler at exhaust end as I think it works okay, probably an off-set design.

3. Some minor repairs - Replace left & right "deflector" along base of windscreen. COST: AU$220. Unable to replace plastic strip along top of windscreen as it is one piece with windscreen. Repaired with fibreglass reinforced filler and "Black Plastic" paint. Neat and efficient job. COST: AU$35

I'm doing this in stages of AU$400 to AU$500 each phase. So that maybe it for the next week or two but I will keep posting each phase.

Thanks for your interest everyone.

Yes first phase done....

1. Removed cone and replaced air filter with K&N panel filter. big difference to acceleration - much smoother especially from 2000 - 3000 rpm. COST: AU$120.

2. Removed large "suitcase" muffler at mid-exhaust. Undoubtedly free-er flowing exhaust (that is one huge, heavy muffler), nice note externally. Internally it is a little loud from about 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm. Probably acceptable for most drivers but I would prefer a deeper, subdued note maybe about 25% quieter. COST: AU$90 - Will discuss options with my exhaust man, possibly a straight thru or offset sport muffler at mid-exhaust. Will keep the original muffler at exhaust end as I think it works okay, probably an off-set design.

3. Some minor repairs - Replace left & right "deflector" along base of windscreen. COST: AU$220. Unable to replace plastic strip along top of windscreen as it is one piece with windscreen. Repaired with fibreglass reinforced filler and "Black Plastic" paint. Neat and efficient job. COST: AU$35

I'm doing this in stages of AU$400 to AU$500 each phase. So that maybe it for the next week or two but I will keep posting each phase.

Thanks for your interest everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday had a wide oval resonator fitted where the "suitcase muffler" used to be. Fantastic! Maintains free exhaling, nice note externally, no droning inside cabin, and at a cost of AU$110.

Currently shopping for a set of Magnecor (used in Australian Super V8 Touring Car Racing) plug leads and a new set of Bosch quad plugs (will stay away from platinum as they seem to be very temperamental).

Have prices for most of my objectives - just a matter of fitting them over time.