[moved] VR6 For Sale Advice!!!

Alrite ppl. Theres a local guy selling a vr6 and I wanted to know what you think it is worth. Heres the spec: -

1996 (N) VW Golf VR6 5dr Manual

Dragon Green Metallic Paintwork

52k genuine mileage with FVWSH

1 previous owner (so the local guy is the second owner from new)

200 odd bhp (ECU remapped, de-catted, full straight through exhaust system)

17" BBS Alloys

£1000 Alpine Sound Install

Car is in immaculate condition.

6 months tax and 9 months MOT

I have done a parkers valuation and they value it at £2600, but with all the extras what would you think it is worth?

Cheers

havent they got like 190bhp standard.

Anyway, im pretty sure he is set on 2800 because wen I had a word with him about his car, he thought it was a bargain.

I dont want to make the mistake I have made in the past and pay more than the cars worth. :)

to give you an idea mate, im looking for p / r reg cars for under 2k! as thats how much I think they are worth now, taking into consideration age, condition of also.

200 odd bhp? got a rolling road printout to verify that? pub talk until you see it with your own eye's!

On average, about 180 +/- ~ 5BHP from a standard VR lump.

my golf was 220BHP with a 2.9 bottom end, schrick VGI, 6 branch, decat, remap, exhaust, big valve head, list goes on...

its the 3 doors you would expect to see go for a little more due to them being more desirable.

I think he's pricing it as he is due to it only having 50k odd on the clock...

TBH if its as good as he makes out (immaculate, low mileage and full VWSH) and with £1000 worth of stereo in there then £2800 isnt that bad a price to pay but make sure the mileage is verified. The 200bhp thing is just an estimate I recon, though mine has shown 192bhp without a decat and remap so its entirely possible.

Hello Mo123456 ,

Just to provide an indication, I just bought a 1995 Mk3 Golf Vr6, Silver 3dr with heated leather interior for £1700. The car has done 100 000 miles, service history is a bit shabby, no main dealer stamps from 75K onwards, I looked for a vr for about a month and finally got tired and just settled for this one! It is a personal thing I suppose, but £2800 is a bit extreme, ask him to remove his ICE and bring the price down to 1700??? After all it is just extra weight! ;) , I have also seen 97 highlines selling for around +/- £2300 with average of 90000 miles.

Regards

Yaseen

Cheers for the reply Yaseen.

You are a bit like me, I get fed up looking for cars for a long time and end up buying the next best thing, lol.

So u reckon 2800 is a bit too much for a car of this spec? If i was to offer him around 2200 would that be reasonable?

Sorry for all the questions but i dont want to make another mistake ;)

Cheers, Mo

when you are parting with big lumps of money (don't know about you lot but anything over a tenner is a big lump!) no-one wants to feel ripped off. When your buying a mota I think if you personally feel its a good deal and the car feels right then buy it. There is always someone who got a better deal or who will tell you that you have done the wrong thing! If its a lemon you will know and you simply walk away.

I paid £3250 12 months ago for mine, standard 3dr P-plate in mint condition, full vwsh ,a box file of reciepts, 2 owners from new, the reciept for the car when it was first bought and then the 2nd reciept (at this point id already though "your mine") full untouched tool kit and spare bulbs kit, 50,000 miles, full option spec

When the guy says it has a full service history make sure it has been every year (as it would have covered well less than 10k miles a year), otherwise walk away. FSH is vital. The extra stereo, wheels, any mods etc never add value to a car. The only thing in the car's favour is the good low mileage. Parkers normally do a conversion table for the amount of miles it is less than average and gives you the amount to add on based on the car's age (it's not normally a huge amount definitely not £600-800 extra on top of book value in this car's case that the seller has added on). I would offer £2000 as you planned but pay no more than 2300. As you said book value is at most £2000-2200. As Pete said being a 5 door it is slightly less desirable. Could be worth ringing up the garage that he had it serviced at and see if they think anything needs doing to it in the near future - will arm you with a lot of knowledge about the car and more reasons to knock the price down. DO an HPI check as that is very low mileage. Low mileage is not always a good thing for an engine. It could have been left standing for a long time or it could have been driven without ever being allowed to warm up. Check all the MOT certificates for each year, checking that the mileage tallies up and there are none missing. The HPI is the main thing. Clocking a car is not that difficult. Powerwise a decat and remap won't make a huge difference - mine made about 5bhp up on standard. Plus you don't need a remap on just a decat.. does nothing for the car as the standard ecu is very good unless you go for mods like cams or above. Good luck mate. Don't be afraid of moving to the next car.. vr6's are becoming much more affordable and very good value for money compared to other lesser or equal performance cars.

FSH is not vital........mine has big holes in the service book, missed about 40k miles out or so. But I did get a folder full of receipts. Also just cause the miles are low doesn't always make it a better engine, as Matth76 says it could be short trips where it doesn't get up to temp. I bought mine with 113k on the clocks and it was owned by a rep for most of its life, so up and down the motorway all day long. Mine now has 127k on it in about 2.5 yrs.

If it doesn't feel right then walk away there are good ones out there

i duno if it had been higher miles i would have said 2grand max, but with 52k it may be worth close to 2500,,...but if your really keen on it give him teh extra few hundred, i over looke dteh rust on mine...big mistake