Hi all,

I'm thinking about gettin my 97 golf VR6 remapped and i'm just after some advice from anyone who knows anything about this - how much should i be spending, who should i be paying to do it and what kind of gains can i expect??

At the moment the engine is standard apart from a magnex ss exhaust, but i'll soon be fitting a bmc cda filter.

I'm sure this has been discussed on the forums in the past so any advice is welcome. Also are there any members in cumbria out there????

Cheers :-p

The price does seem to vary alot and its worth shopping around as sometimes the hassle of a 100 mile drive could save you a few hundred quid, ive been looking for when my charger is fitted and a place 40 miles away want £600! Stealth 160 miles away will do a better job for half that so its worth the road trip

Dont quote me, but I have heard that the gains on a reasonably standard vr arent really worth the outlay, but if you were to throw some nice cams into the mix you'd start to see a better return for your hard earned cash. Personally I wouldnt bother with a remap without a few more mods that needed a map to run properly (ie cams, schrick mani, F/I)

Cheers for the advice guys. I have been told that a remap would push it up to near the 200bhp mark, which would be a noticeable gain over what it's running at now but maybe i'll hang on til i've had a bit more done with the car.

As said above, only get it remapped if you have cams or above (smaller mods it is pointless). The stock OBD2 ecu is very good. The remap purely gets the fuelling spot on to prevent dangerous pinking. Extra power is a bonus.

Stealth's remap is the one go go for - same price as an off the shelf superchip etc but far far more custom suited to your own car and it's mods - to get the most from your mods.