Just taken ownership of a Mk3 VR6 Golf on a K plate. Full VW main dealer history, 86000 miles, only done limited mileage each year based on service schedule and MOT's.

After a run this weekend (fast a roads) giving it some beans i noticed smoke when driving slowly. It only happens when changing from 3rd to 2nd, you drop it into second, lift of the accelerator and the smoke appears. When you accelerate again, no smoke. Car does not smoke when cold or hot if revved. Could it be because the engine is not used to being stretched like this with previous owner? There is no loss of power, no leaks and the oil cap does not have a milky substance. I have noticed that one of the HT leads has not been put on properly and the plug is arcing but not sure if this cause smoke? Not being an engine expert i'm concerned it could be something like piston rings or valve seals.

Any ideas?

i got the same prob dude, high oil usage and similar symptons im no expert at all but it would pay to have a cylinder leakage test this will tell you if your oil control ring on each piston is ok also a compression test is good idea.

I have also been told that worn valve stem guides can allow oil to pass into cylinder. check condition of your plugs to see if they have oil on them..good luck

Thanks for the advice peeps.

Oil used on last service was Synta Gold - is that the right stuff?

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. I need to get a spark plug removal tool before i can check the plugs. Better get onto vagparts?

Cheers. My Haynes manual does not cover the VR6 engine and the Peter Russek manual that came with the car will tell me how to take the engine out, take it apart etc but not the oil capacity etc.

Can anyone let me know how much oil it takes and any other gear i need?

Update: have been taking the car for longer runs and on certain roads taking the engine upto 6.5k rpm in 2nd 3rd and 4th - i'm probably tempting fate, but it has not smoked since. Maybe i just needed to blow the cobwebs away!