Performance FACTS PLease

A mate at work has an Audi S3 (the later one with 220bhp as opposed to 210) and his car has pretty much the same performance as mine. He was impressed with my VR. It's down to the power to weight ratio. The s3 weights 200kg more but with only 20-30bhp more. The S3 may have the edge off the line due to the 4wd but once going no difference at all. He has raced a mate of his in a new focus st and it was pretty even - therefore so going by that a VR in good shape with ~190 bhp will have similar perfomance to the ST too. The focus ST weighs over 1300kgs so is a lot heavier than the VR (nearly 150kgs in fact). The new "hot" hatches weigh somewhat more than the older VR which is what makes our VR a real wolf in sheeps clothing - power to weight is very good with the much lighter VR. The new mk5 Golf GTI weighs over 130kgs more than the VR. I have personally raced a serious driver in a honda ctr and it was very even coming out of a roundabout but at higher speed the VR opened up the gap a bit. ...and a CTR has very similar performance to a focus ST and S3. Every VR will be different mind you (although one person's VR will have good performance compared to another similar hot hatch doesn't mean every vr will) - bhp's from second hand and even brand new cars will always vary from day to day. A car with higher BHP isn't always faster - it is the torque, power delivery, gearing, and as already mentioned the kerb weight of the car, as well as other factors. The VR isn't the fastest car out there but it certainly has character - especially when you rev it :)

By the way MG rovers have somewhat less performance than the VR (unless it is the very rare V8 version with 260bhp!). They look the part but that is about it. Once had one try to race me and it was a no contest. They have good styling but are quite common unfortunately.

HI all

Right has anyone raced a FOCUS ST' date=' AUDI 1.8T 4wd S3, and one of those MG Rover things in their standard 190bhp VR6 engine. Please let me know outcomes assuming that the other cars were standard.

[/quote']

I think you mean the MG ZS 180? which is a V6 not a VR6? there are quick, peformance says on the book almost exact same as a vr6 golf but id stil say it was slower.

HI all

Right has anyone raced a FOCUS ST' date=' AUDI 1.8T 4wd S3, and one of those MG Rover things in their standard 190bhp VR6 engine. Please let me know outcomes assuming that the other cars were standard.

[/quote']

I think you mean the MG ZS 180? which is a V6 not a VR6? there are quick, peformance says on the book almost exact same as a vr6 golf but id stil say it was slower.

I've driven my mates ZS 180 (54 plater) and it does 'feel' slower but like the VR its speed is deceptive. I would say in reality there's not alot in it tbh.

The golf is built better and in standard trim much quieter inside from road noise etc

Hi all

had a chance to tare a friends 06 st focus turbo,before it went back to fords i dont get many chances like that,just sad didnt have it for longer,not a big fan of fords.

but very surprised.strraight line sub 6sec .wicked on roundabouts and bends ,tc lets you have fun.you are more busy behind the wheel to keep the boost up,makes you feel like your rallying.. very juicey 10 mpg on a hard slap.

i would have a R32 anyday.