VR6 Shortlist - Thoughts

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow paul some right bargains there, on 90k or less. its amazing how cheap vr's are now

pete, surely wouldnt it be easier to just put the shrick and few bits on one of these lower mile cheap cars, and sell the engine?

1800 cheap car minus 600 (ish) youd get for an engine equals 1200 for a shricked VR

wow paul some right bargains there' date=' on 90k or less. its amazing how cheap vr's are now

pete, surely wouldnt it be easier to just put the shrick and few bits on one of these lower mile cheap cars, and sell the engine?

1800 cheap car minus 600 (ish) youd get for an engine equals 1200 for a shricked VR

[/quote']

not when I've got a big valve head, and low compression pistons it aint ;) my engine has only covered 13k since it was built in November... its had all the chains done, gearbox rebuilt etc...

But he has a manual box CADGUY lol - if he was changing the engine like he is then its all gotta come out anyway. all that would need to be done would be the linkages then.

not sure what's different in loom, sensors, ecu between manual and auto?

I want to keep it simple :)

pete

just phoned about that 75k one.....

its got leather, electric everything, CLIMATRONIC too...

bad points is a bit of surface rust on the cills, and there's a crease in the passenger qtr pannel, but obvously I'd want bits smoothed etc anyway...

he guy is emailing me some pics shortly and I'll bang em on ere :)

pete

Good good mate :) - i'm sure there is no difference in electrics mate. The Auto Box's are worth good cash aswel and the interior.

You have the manual box and linkages in your other car so will the engine is out on both it should only take 2 hours to have it sorted.

My mate did it to his Rado VR6 as the auto box was buggered - so he put a manual one in.

75k OBD2 engine will be worth £400

Autobox with incar box etc will be worth £200 min

Black heated leather interior would be worth £300-£400. All in your looking at over £1k you'll get back. But personally i'd sell your interior as the leather would be nicer.

Ok... here are some pictures!

Looks OK apart from the spot of rust on the cill, and the side strip. which I've got new ones at home...

leather, and climatronic is a bonus, would save me ripping dash out of a new one....

pete

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_1.jpg]1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_1_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_2.jpg]1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_2_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_dg2.jpg]1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_dg2_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_dg_1.jpg]1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_dg_1_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_int.jpg]1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_int_.jpg[/lightbox]

Good good mate :) - i'm sure there is no difference in electrics mate. The Auto Box's are worth good cash aswel and the interior.

You have the manual box and linkages in your other car so will the engine is out on both it should only take 2 hours to have it sorted.

My mate did it to his Rado VR6 as the auto box was buggered - so he put a manual one in.

75k OBD2 engine will be worth £400

Autobox with incar box etc will be worth £200 min

Black heated leather interior would be worth £300-£400. All in your looking at over £1k you'll get back. But personally i'd sell your interior as the leather would be nicer.

someone has already expressed interest in the engine... i'd need the gearbox because the case is cracked, and mine has lots of toys in it ;) swings and roundabouts again...

The sills do look nasty but it looks like an unabused example. The VR6 engine really is to heavy for the mk3 shell - this is why if you can help it you done jake her up on the sills as they bend in time. This is what has happened to the green one now and rust has set in, But its not a major job to get it sorted.

By the way its not a Auto Lol!!

The sills do look nasty but it looks like an unabused example. The VR6 engine really is to heavy for the mk3 shell - this is why if you can help it you done jake her up on the sills as they bend in time. This is what has happened to the green one now and rust has set in' date=' But its not a major job to get it sorted.

By the way its not a Auto Lol!!

[/quote']

its just the plastic strip (that actually has a metal layer inside) that makes it look a mess... the rust just above the rubber is very common on the MK3... mine were horrendous on the old golf, and pretty much had a hole in it! only looks surface to me though initally, it could well be worth a trip down there...

rear arch has a dink in it.. but i'd be getting things smoothed around the back again anyway ;)

Pete

Well offer him £1500 - then when you go down there have £1500 max and give him a hard time about anything else that you see and try knocking him down again.

If you got down there then it'll look like your interested in the £1880 price so it'll be hard to knock him down. If you've made the effort then to travel that far then it shows you want it. Don't let the dealer beat you!! ;-)

ive put some more questions towards to guy... he seems honest enough, no dealer would say it's just come in on Part X he said...

my only "concern" is the rear bumper...

1178009382_2_FT172525_vw_golf_vr6_green_dg_1.jpg

not sure if its the light/ dirt etc... but it doesnt look right to me... that along with the dink in the rear qtr could suggest a rear impact at some point, although the vehicle is HPI Clear..

Its nearly a 12 year old car - My Highline is HPI clear but has had the rear bumper changed at one time. You wont find my cars that havent had something.

Yeah i agree the pic isnt that good for you to see the damaged area. But isn't your rear wing still good? Offer him lower money and see what he says. If he had it in as a PartX then i bet he only give the guy £1k-£12 for it.

Its nearly a 12 year old car - My Highline is HPI clear but has had the rear bumper changed at one time. You wont find my cars that havent had something.

Yeah i agree the pic isnt that good for you to see the damaged area. But isn't your rear wing still good? Offer him lower money and see what he says. If he had it in as a PartX then i bet he only give the guy £1k-£12 for it.

my rear qtr is rotten on my golf already, and thats on top of a car that ran in the side of it at work a while ago too...

my rear smoothed bumper will go straight on that anyway though ;) a bit of TLC is all that car needs, and ive given plenty of TLC to my previous golf. as the receipts suggested!!

pete

My advice would be: stick to the mission Pete! You're after a good shell with shagged running gear. This looks like a shagged shell with a nice interior. :)

If it was nearby to you - it'd be worth a quick look. But if its a trek I'd give it a miss. Its got damage in at least 3 places (bumper, rear quarter, and sill). I'm no expert but this could have been enough damage for an insurance company to write the car off - but the owner decided not to claim (so it'd be HPI clear).

My advice would be: stick to the mission Pete! You're after a good shell with shagged running gear. This looks like a shagged shell with a nice interior. :)

If it was nearby to you - it'd be worth a quick look. But if its a trek I'd give it a miss. Its got damage in at least 3 places (bumper' date=' rear quarter, and sill). I'm no expert but this could have been enough damage for an insurance company to write the car off - but the owner decided not to claim (so it'd be HPI clear).

[/quote']

It would make it easier for me if it was running to be honest.. anything under 2k is fine... as I need a gearbox, and the engine would already be sold and in another car before i can say vr6's are ace!

Dont forget, already have a rear bumper thats smoothed already to go on, plastic strips already, so would only be that bit of surface rust and that rear QTR.. could just do with checking it in a bit more detail though.

As I said, I could spend 2k on a running VR, and still needs respraying lol...

advantages for me is:

I wont have to fit climatronic unit,, I will have a set of recaro's to sell, and a running engine, and I will have a replacment gearbox case for my toy packed gearbox internals...