major gearbox failure

hey guys i got a huge problem, the gearbox on my car literally exploded on the motorway, showering the carriageway with lots of small cogs and some large chunks of casing, does anyoe have one in or near the portsmouth area, im willing to pay a good price (but please dont rip me off im on a very tight budget as it is) as i cant get back to london without my car. sorry for putting this in the wrong section admin but i thought id get more luck than in the wanted section and im desperate. if anyone can help me please call 07749464178

no prob, suppose it wont hurt to pray. LOTS. lol, does anyone know if the vento or pssat vr6 box fits or a manual sharan or the ford galaxy v6 with the vw engine or even a 6 speed box from one of the newer deseil models (ive heard it does), trouble is i dont know what engine or gearbox code mine is and wouldnt know where to look, im guessing mine is a AAA code box, are the newer (mines 1993) vr obd2 engines using the same box, sorry for all the questions but everyday im stuck in portsmouth and not in london working im losing about 150 quid a day next week and really cant afford that aswell, lol.

tried e38, nothing going there, i think i put an add up using gavinvr6 screenie but laptop crapped out as i hit the post button and now having probs getting onto the site. vagslag forums are shutting down so no joy there and im having sign in probs with clubgti, i think i joined every vw club i could find last night, leaving begging posts everywhere,lol

ive tried those, the buy it no one wants payment in advance and cant get the box to me till tuesday at the earliest, but im currently stuck in portsmouth with no transport to get home back to london and i need to be at work tomorrow, at best i will have to leave the car here if i cant find a box nearby by tomorrow. things aint looking good, maybe another vr6 will have to go to the great scrap yard in the sky

hello matey sorry to hear your trouble try findapart, these people are in touch with the whole uk so if you ring them and tell em what u want they get bak to u asap, better off waitin by ur car for a few days stay at b&b, 09069190266 try them if they dont work call aa or something...

hello matey sorry to hear your trouble try findapart, these people are in touch with the whole uk so if you ring them and tell em what u want they get bak to u asap, better off waitin by ur car for a few days stay at b&b, 09069190266 try them if they dont work call aa or something...

ive got somewhere to stay and somewhere near by to fit it for a rasonable price, just gotta find one. ive put a wanted thing on 1st choice.co.uk and they e-maill/contact virtually every decent breaker in the country, ive found one at stevens vw breakers in essex for a semi sensible price but am going to exhaust all possible choices in portsmouth first. as for the aa, how many times have you thought abot it pick up leaflets and thought nah i'll be ok, well thats what happened to me, i been looking around for a good policy that will do everything i want without costing me a small fortune. trouble is figuring out what box ive got, my engine and trans code say's AAA and CCM, but i thought aaa was the trans code

Why don't u just join up with the AA now (I pay around £100 for me and the misses irrespective of what car we are in) - and then call them tomorrow so they will toe the car back to London. I know loads of people who do this.. car breaks down, they join AA and call them the next day!

!!!!update!!!! good news paid 235 inc vat for a ccm code gear box picking it up tomorrow and gotta pay 282 to get it fitted wednesday, fingers crossed i didnt damage anything else. and vodka drinker- they would charge a nut busting price to haul my car back to london. but with any luck ive only done the box so can get home wedneday night only losing 3 days wages and the cost of getting the car fixed, all for the price of breakdown cover im gunna be about a grand out of pocket by the time i get home. and another thig is after talking toa few grease monkey's down here ive been told that the box from a mk3 16v gti fits the vr6 and that the gearbox codes is something to do with the gear ratio's nothng about how it fit, apparently it bolts straight in as the gent i was talking to has just done a successful implant into a 'rado vr6 without any aditional parts being needed. very suspect me thinks, will update again if and when i get home

update!!! box went in without a hitch, slightly scarred up the releage bearing case and the face of the pressure plate but it got me home safe and well, now im just waiting till i got time to change the fluids in the box and clutch lines, only one small niggle, the box seems to clunk into the gears, could this be a slightly mis aligned linkage or is it just me? i mean it aint crunching or grinding, just kinda feels like a deisal box like when you change gear it finds the gear then slots in, kinda stops then goes in, i dont have to force it in either. have i bought a melon of a box?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys just after a bit of advice, after getting a second hand boz fitted i wanna play things safe and change the oil in it as the oil in the one that blew was nearly black and really smelled like crude oil. how do i empty my box then refill it and check the levels? also what grade oil should i use, would i be better of using a decent synthetic jobbie or race grade oil as i drive the car quiet hard when i do get to use it

ive been told that the box from a mk3 16v gti fits the vr6 and that the gearbox codes is something to do with the gear ratio's nothng about how it fit' date=' apparently it bolts straight in as the gent i was talking to has just done a successful implant into a 'rado vr6 without any aditional parts being needed. very suspect me thinks, will update again if and when i get home

[/quote']

Glad your sorted, but just to clarify this one, 16v box will not fit. VR6 uses a different bellhousing. Ratios are different too, that much is correct.

Tom.

ive been told that the box from a mk3 16v gti fits the vr6 and that the gearbox codes is something to do with the gear ratio's nothng about how it fit' date=' apparently it bolts straight in as the gent i was talking to has just done a successful implant into a 'rado vr6 without any aditional parts being needed. very suspect me thinks, will update again if and when i get home

[/quote']

Glad your sorted, but just to clarify this one, 16v box will not fit. VR6 uses a different bellhousing. Ratios are different too, that much is correct.

thats what i thought which is why i never listened to him , i thought it sounded a bit suspect since the block for them are so different

Tom.