Hi mate, welcome to the site. In answer to your question..one word: don't. A full custom remap at Stealth Racing will cost the same (£300) as a superchip or similar. Stealth Racing are the best in the UK when it comes to remapping the VR engine. A custom remap gets the most power from your mods. Whereas a chip is much more limited. However as you have a late model VR the ecu is very advanced and you won't get any benefit or power increase from either a chip or remap unless you get significant mods first, such as 268 cams or more. Otherwise you won't see any gain at all. A chip/remap is effective on standard earlier pre 95 Vr's as the ecu is more basic.

A remap/chip is normally used to get the fuelling spot on after heavily modifying the engine to prevent pinking/detting in the engine... power is a bonus. But for now I would get a free flowing exhaust (mine's a cat back Milltek ..really nice subtle, not loud but deep howl when you floor it down the dual carriageway) and BMC induction kit/air filter. Should make your car sound and rev much better..but you won't see much power increase (maybe 5bhp in total) For more power though I would go for shrick or Eurospec 268 cams (you will need a remap as well afterwards). Ask around on here for a set of second hand ones (I wouldn't get any other make of cams though as a lot of "cheaper" 268s shift power right up the rev range losing power lower down whereas Shrick and Eurospec tend to spread the power evently). I got my Eurospec ones from a member on here for more than half the price and were virtually unused. You gain at least 10bhp. Don't get a stainless 6 branch exhaust manifold. These are prone to blowing and give very little power benefit. Hope that helps.