mine are really good as standard. The main things to consider are:

Are they set up properly i.e pointing in the right direction?

And the most important thing of all is, how good are the reflectors (the chrome bit inside the lamps) if these are dull the light projected will be poor.

If your headlamps are in good order you could always try some uprated bulbs such as philips do a 30% brighter bulb using the same current draw as standard bulbs so no need to upgrade the loom or add relays.

or its an idea time to may be get some MK4 style lights??

• 2 weeks later...

try an up-rated headlight loom if your lights are that bad, i nicked this linky from another site but beleive its relevent for a mk3 and combined with a decent set of uprated bulbs it worked a treat on my mk2. all in buying all parts it cost about 25 quid and an hour or 2 of you time, uprated loom, or you could go for a HiD conversion if money isnt an issue

Best off getting some aftermarket ones.

I've just fitted some FK MK4 style ones and the lighting is superb compared to the standard headlights. I had upgraded bulbs in my standard ones before but that still never compared to the FK's.

Chris

I assume you're on the stock setup at the moment. You're quite right - the lighting provided by the standard lights and bulbs is feeble. If it makes you feel any better, the standard lights on a mk4 are just as bad!

Get a set of brand new aftermarket headlamps (mk4-look, Inpro, hella quads, or whatever you fancy), then fit a Solarglow 6000K HID kit. All your lighting problems will then be over! And it will look a lot smarter too!