Positioning Of MFA On A Z-Engineering Charger

hi there guys, i start wondering after i saw a picture on here of a vortex charger with a schrink, the MFA was situated before the charger, as you can see below. (sorry i haven't asked the owner if i could link the picture ;))

Where if you look at the second picture, this is how my charger is set up, with the mfa lower down.

Was wondering which position is better? or it doesn't matter? or is it due to picture one being a OBD1 and mine being a OBD2 ?

Also quick question, a good induction to use for a Z engineering charger ? I'm using a pipercross foam type at the moment.

Sorry if i sound stupid, was just curious.

Thanks in advance

normal_Stealth%2022%20Feb%202004%20027%20%28web%29.jpg

normal_Stealth%2022%20Feb%202004%20025%20%28web%29.jpg

In the picture of the vortech charger the maf is after the charger not before and if yours is the second picture then it's an OBD1 not an OBD2!

I had a ZR2 charger on an OBD2 car and had the maf after the charger but if yours is set up with the maf before and is running ok then there's no reason to change it... Ive been told they run better with it before the charger but my car had aircon and space was very limited so I didnt bother

• 2 weeks later...

The vortech charger has its own oil feed and more complex internal gearing than the ZR1 - this makes the Votech more reliable than the ZR1, but also makes it sap more power from the engine.

A ZR1 will require periodic checkups & maintenance. The Vortech is "fit and forget". But a ZR1 will make more power than a Vortech at the same PSi.

I'll leave you to decide which is "better" !

The MAF can be fitted either between the air filter and the charger (upstream of the charger) or between the charger and the throttle (downstream of the charger) as long as the ECU is running an appropriate map. If you switch from upstream to downstream (or vice versa), you need to have your ECU remapped.

Most tuners recommend that the MAF be fitted upstream of the charger because in a downstream install, hot air blowing out of the charger distorts the MAF reading, causing fuelling problems. Blasting the MAF with hot air can also cause premature MAF failure.

So, unless your tuner has specifically told you to install the MAF downstream (and given you a good reason why), I would fit it upstream.