hi, i have a problem with my brakes (well i think i do)

they are standard and as new all round,

when i am going fast and then press on the brakes to slow down quickly they go all stiff and seem to lose power of braking, then when i let go of the pedal and press again it seems too soft, what gives???

some mate said its the fluid that needs changing and another mate said the SERVO needs attention

Your best bet is to buy a small kit from your local motor store, they don't cost alot. basically you have to hook a tube upto the bleed nipple on the caliper and press the brake pedal a few times to clear all the air out the system.

There is a certain order to do them in, of which i'm not sure.

I must admit mate, i'm no expert either, wait untill someone else sees this, they may have other ideas as to what the problem is. :-)

ALso, would be better in the brakes section, but we won't hold that against you, :-p ;-)

[ Edited Tue Jul 06 2004, 09:57PM ]

Get a bleeding kit from a local accessory shop. Start off on the furthest from the master cylinder, undo the bleed nipple plug on the hose from the kit, other end in a jar or summit, pump brake pedal at least 6 times. tighten bleed nipple then top up master cylinder and move onto the next furthest away. Repeat process till all four done. Nothing difficult about it. Dont forget to keep topping up master cylinder though.

Get a bleeding kit from a local accessory shop. Start off on the furthest from the master cylinder' date=' undo the bleed nipple plug on the hose from the kit, other end in a jar or summit, pump brake pedal at least 6 times. tighten bleed nipple then top up master cylinder and move onto the next furthest away. Repeat process till all four done. Nothing difficult about it. Dont forget to keep topping up master cylinder though.[/quote']

you shouldn't use the pumping the brake pedal trick on any mkIII apparantly, its can damage the master cylinder.

Get a bleeding kit from a local accessory shop. Start off on the furthest from the master cylinder' date=' undo the bleed nipple plug on the hose from the kit, other end in a jar or summit, pump brake pedal at least 6 times. tighten bleed nipple then top up master cylinder and move onto the next furthest away. Repeat process till all four done. Nothing difficult about it. Dont forget to keep topping up master cylinder though.[/quote']

you shouldn't use the pumping the brake pedal trick on any mkIII apparantly, its can damage the master cylinder.

How do you bleed the system then, (if that is a dumb question) :?

How do you bleed the system then' date=' (if that is a dumb question) :?

[/quote']

using an easi-bleed kit...which doesn't require pedal pumping.

aother thing to be aware of (and this is straight from the bentley manual) is on OBD2 cars, vag-com or 1551 tool is required if you have emptied the system of the majority of the fluid.

Pumping the brake pedal can damage the seals within the master cylinder on any car, basically you are moving the seals into areas of the master cylinder that they don't normally encounter, which can damage them. However it remains a popular way to bleed the brakes, its generally ok as long as you're not too vigourous with the pedal. The alternative is to buy a kit that uses air pressure rather than pedal pressure to push the new fluid through the system. They normally use the spare tyre to provide pressure. Personally I have bled every car I have ever owned using the pedal without problems, just take it easy...don't slam the pedal to the floor...