Back From Stealth !! NOW SORTED !!

Right, I just forked out £325 for a custom re-map yesterday after extensive head work and cams etc. The car was make good power 215bhp before the map and then 230bhp 200 lb ft of torque after !

The thing that concerns me is that it was cutting out rather a lot before the map, nearly every junction! When I got it to Stealth, Vince was puzzled that he couldn't sort out the stalling problem as simply as other VRs with the same problem !

All sensors are fine and a lot have been replaced due to the cutting out including fuel pump and reg. Vince was able to make changes to the map to help the problem, and it did reduce the stalling somewhat when hot but the problem still persists when cold!

After I received the head back and built the car back up and ran it for a few miles I gave it a compression test to find that the pressures were good, the front three pistons were equal to each other as were the rear set but there is a bar difference between the front and back set. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the rough idle and it cutting out!?

Could this imbalance be due to the flow work carried out on the head ? I will contact the man who carried out the work on the head for advice.

This is obviously a great annoyance as I have spent a great deal of time and money on it and am having to take it apart again.

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

As mentioned on Friday mate, mine used to do the same and was the MAF - which is an impossible sensor to diagnose on OBD1 without an oscilliscope and other lab equipment.

The 15 psi difference between front and rear banks needs investigating, whether it be as a simple as the rear cam being a tooth out (I've done that before, LOL!) or a problem with the head, but it will upset the engine at low speeds.

Maybe nothing to do with it but mine had a problem with stalling at junctions after it was remapped. Turned out to be a dirty throttle body making it stick shut. Just cleaned it out and it solved the problem.

I second that, mine was stalling all the time with no obvious probs, took it to VW where they cleaned the throttle body and it then ran like a dream. The guy said that it was a really common thing with VR's.

I have got a spare MAF I can try, but not sure if its Healthy?

I spoke to Len the guy who done the head work and he has assured me that it wouldnt be to do with the flow work he carried out. He did phone a couple of professionals about my problem and they both came up with simular sugestions including stuck lifters. I have heard about bleeding hydraulic lifters to stop any artifical lift! I think Im going to take a weekend of double checking timing again, taking out the cams and bleeding the lifters. Also the oil pressure release valve can cause the lifters to fill up to much which is something else to think about. Im going to get to the bottom of this !!

As mentioned on Friday mate' date=' mine used to do the same and was the MAF - which is an impossible sensor to diagnose on OBD1 without an oscilliscope and other lab equipment.

The 15 psi difference between front and rear banks needs investigating, whether it be as a simple as the rear cam being a tooth out (I've done that before, LOL!) or a problem with the head, but it will upset the engine at low speeds.

[/quote']

Well it looks like it was the MAF causing the cutting out after all Kev ! It doesn't cut out at all now which is great and it f-ing flys which is even better !

I'm not too worried about the comp test as I might not of opened up the throttle whilst carrying it out or something ?

The question is now could this be why my torque was just above average after the map ? Would the dodgy MAF of cause the dip in torque between 5 and 6k ? Could the fault of affected the power also?

I'm so happy this has been resolved, I can now start enjoying the drive ! Thanks to everyone who helped with advice !