Supercharging FAQ

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until you try some good brakes, you have no idea how bad the standard ones are :-) Don't get me wrong, we don't all have deep pockets, but seriously......4 pots and 330mm discs are what high performan

They dont have a buying site on the website - do you just call them to purchase them and to get our discount ? Ok am having a stupid day just looked and found my answer - please ignore me :$ :$

Details are in the premium members benefits forum under parts. I can't post a link as that would mean everyone could read it ;-)

The VF mounts are too hard imo. The front one you can get away with because the whole cross member is isolated with rubber bushes.

The rear and gearbox mounts transmit a LOT of noise and vibration into the cabin. I've seen the rear mount cups shear off the subframe from using mounts that too stiff, particularly solid and poly ones......but they never tell you things like that in the sales pitch ;-)

The force and strain not taken up by a compressing engine mount has to go somewhere.....

The rear mount cups are only tack welded on. I've had both of mine stitch welded all the way round to reinforce them. I'm not taking any chances when putting twice the factory torque through the drivetrain!

The best compromise I've personally found is Vibratech competition front, Vibratech fast road rear and fast road gearbox. Or, if you don't mind a little extra harshness and noise, the Vibra comp gearbox mount utterly transforms the shift quality and cornering stability :-)

The best compromise I've personally found is Vibratech competition front' date=' Vibratech fast road rear and fast road gearbox. Or, if you don't mind a little extra harshness and noise, the Vibra comp gearbox mount utterly transforms the shift quality and cornering stability :-)

[/quote']

Cheers Kev have sent them an email to confirm prices and availability - all that I have read about doing these mounts is praise about how well they transform the handling so looks well worth it to me.

The rear mount cups are only tack welded on.

I noticed that when doing mine, that just seems so lazy on VWs part doesnt it, I went as far as looking at another VR to see if thats actually how they were and that mine wasnt just a tampered with one

They dont have a buying site on the website - do you just call them to purchase them and to get our discount ? Ok am having a stupid day just looked and found my answer - please ignore me :$ :$

Details are in the premium members benefits forum under parts. I can't post a link as that would mean everyone could read it ;-)

The link breaks if you aint a premium member tho Nige, im sure of it

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of any supercharging options other than the centrifugal type?

A roots or screw supercharger, with that lovely whine, and the much wider operating range, would be an interesting option.... Or even something like adapting a G60, or maybe two G40s?

I know it would kill fuel consumption but I don't think any of us bought a 6 cylinder engine for the MPG, it could require a spacer to reduce the compression ratio of the engine slightly to prevent knocking tho....

Does anyone know of any supercharging options other than the centrifugal type?

A roots or screw supercharger' date=' with that lovely whine, and the much wider operating range, would be an interesting option.... Or even something like adapting a G60, or maybe two G40s?

I know it would kill fuel consumption but I don't think any of us bought a 6 cylinder engine for the MPG, it could require a spacer to reduce the compression ratio of the engine slightly to prevent knocking tho....

[/quote']

The reason that centrifugal chargers are used is that they are far more efficient. In order to increase the efficiency the blades have to run so close together in the other types.. The Mini Cooper S is a prime example and hence why the engines are now turbo.

The Roots and screw types require considerably more power to even rotate the charger. Look at the top fuel dragsters, monster HP yes but it requires something like 500-800HP to make 4500HP.

If you need to run lower compression it will not be because of the pressure but more the heat left in the charged air.

• 2 months later...

Its bollocks' date=' silicone will actually dehydrate the belt and age it alot faster as it will go brittle and crack, same goes for silicone based tyre shine and trim shine, its crap

You can actually get belt dressing spray

http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/tygris-belt-dressing-spray-pr-16370.html

[/quote']

cheers mate was not sure he was on the level - so is the belt spray worth getting then ??

• 4 months later...