At 2k rpm there is a slight rattle/vibration from the engine, above or below 2k rpm it is gone. It is very slight and most people wouldnt notice it, its just that i do and my friend who is a mechanic did but just said 'oh dont worry about it'. I just want to check that it is nothing to worry about. Its on 67k and just had an oil change it runs and pulls v well so just wondered wat that noise could be..?

That sound clip is taken from a car that the guides were snapped and very badly worn... worse case scinario shall we say...

You still may have a slight rattle from the chains...

what year is your VR? there were 2 designs, on the earlier VR, its a double top chain, on the later VR's they were a single chain with improved guides...

There is a guide in the premium member section that details how to do an inspection of the top guides....

Pete

It's the later one, late 96 OBD2 n' all that. Could it really be the chains with that mileage!? I will have it checked anyway, it's very very slight but with me, any noise, rattle squeek on a car is a big deal. I'll give the phirm a ring at the weekend I think and see what they say. Im not a premium member yet unfortunately, I tried to upgrade a few times but it said the membership upgrade thingy was not available or something. Il try it again soon, about time I did upgrade! Cheers anyway people...

Hi,

I'm on a 1997, and on the single chain... cant remember what year they came into effect off hand...

It might not even be the chains... could just require a new hydrolic bolt that keeps the guides "taught" or it could be a broken guide, which isnt uncommon!

Think my chains were done with 80k on the clock..

Membership is down at the moment.... an email will go around once it's back up and running...

Pete