Engine Missing and Popping - HELP!

I have a 1993 Golf VR which has done 1500 miles since the last set of plugs. The last set were replaced after 8000 miles when the car started to miss and stutter. One plug was oiled another had blown completely.

Last few hundred miles engine has been juddering under acceleration especially if I put the toe in at low revs. This happens in any gear and can happen throughout the rev range especially when the engine is cold.

When warm it still happens but less. Its also erratic as if pushed the engine can be smooth all the way up to 6000rpm. The judder is now frequently accompanied by a loud intermittent popping noise (unburnt fuel?).

Is this just plugs? I check the coilpack for arcing this evening and no visible sign of any problems there. Probablly still get one of Toms set ups though! Advice appreciated. If it is the plugs I want to do them myself. Any advice (is a special plug tool needed?) and tips for removal, replacment and adjustment greatly appreciated

Might be worth a sticky on engine misfires as they semme to crop up quite often?!

Thanks

OK - not sure what my VR is up to. Took it out for a spin - toe in on the gas with engine cold (only to 3,000 rpm) after being sat cold for 24 hours and nothing apart from small flat spot on one burst of acceleration.As its not desperate (yet) will wait for one of Toms coil packs and possibly renew leads. Will definatly check the plugs though as last time it was oil fouling that caused this me thinks.

Katconcarne - yours sounds similar but whole load more problemo. Mine is only missing intermittently and most of the time it runs OK - even well. Yours sounds like a bit more of a fundemental problem. Good luck and when I sort mine I'll let you know.