Inlet mani heat proofing

Just wondered if anyone here has ever heat wrapped the underside of there inlet mani?? Was just wondering because i had a Celica GT4 before hand and the Chargecooler is mounted ontop of the engine just like the inlet mani on the VR6 it made a hell of a diference on the GT4's once you had heat wrapped it. Also has anyone stripped out there underbonnet noise blanket

Dave

Try this link mate,

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=DEI050501

thats where i got the stuff for doing my chargecooler and its real sticky, you just peel of and stick on simple.

infact i have just ordered a sheet5 as we speak 2'x21" so il try get that done soon as

Oh and if i remove the Inlet manifold do i need to change all the gaskets??

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright all well it took a while to get round to it but i have finaly heat proffed the inlet mani and it took about 1hr 30min to do.

Any Difference? Well you know tha feeling you get when the engine is cold it feels like you have alot of power thats what it feels like and the engine note has changed quite alot so im really pleased.I would recomend this, I ran it for about half an hour on a country road stoped lifted the bonnet and felt the top of the mani which i never heat proofed and it was nice and cool and obviously the colder the air going in the denser wich means +air +fuel +tourque/Power. I would say a must mod.

I've heard of people putting a layer of heat insulation between the rocker cover and inlet manifold on supercharged VRs and slight power & torque improvements were seen through doing this.

There is also an insulating gasket ( http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/store/product.php?xProd=3507&xSec=129 ) that you can get that goes between the manifold and the head, which is supposed to reduce heat soak even further. Once again, this mod is mainly intended for forced-induction setups, where inlet temps are critical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a bit of a thought today about carbon fibre. Isn't it completely heat proof?

My thought was to contact a friend of mine from another forum who has the gear to make carbon fibre parts and is already doing engine covers and stuff for other cars. Would there be any benefit to using a carbon fibre rocker cover?

I wouldn't mind paying a few quid if it eliminated the heat coming up through the manifold.

Any thoughts? Should I ask him how much it would cost to make one?

Baz