Current Golf R32

Guest paul curren

Guest paul curren

I'm new to Golfs having always owned Vtec Honda's plus an IS200 Sport. Anyhow, I'm looking for something with much more torque plus a flat torque curve and the current gen R32 seems to foot the bill. So; what are the pros & cons of the current generation Golf and does anyone have any experience of the manual box vs DSG ? Any help with be gratefully accepted; thanks.

I drove a few manual mk4 R32's when i worked for Audi and i thort the A3 3.2 DSG was a better car all round. Ive not driven the mk5 but i would still go for an A3 3.2 with the DSG box.

The new S3 looks pretty good too 265BHP 2.0 turbo!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a new R32 back in May last year & went for the manual having tried the DSG - it's still anauto box at the end of th eday & if you really want to drive it then you've got to stir the stick. Great car.

FP3 I totally agree - a manual makes you feel much more involved. That's why Audi have it as standard in their RS4. Whereas it's more of a luxury item and put in the "grand tourers" - hence the bigger RS6 (grand tourer) has an auto-tiptronic as standard and no manual available (because it is aimed at less "hardcore/sporty" drivers). Alot of the latest manuals (including the R32) have extremely short throws making them very quick to change gear.

Personally I would always stick with a manual - you have more control over the revs etc. Yes a tiptronic/dsg will get faster changes (when they work!) and slightly faster acceleration but who is timing you... I would rather a more involving driving experience... but thats just me! Still remember the episode of top gear when aston martin's DB9 auto box kept braking or going wrong (even after they sent it back to the factory to get it fixed), and when it did work it wouldn't shift when you wanted it. Totally unacceptable from a car worth so much money. However some auto/tip boxes are getting better though. Still not a proven/reliable product yet in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...