An alternative to the stock coilpack....

Gary,

Got this for you for testing if you would, Not on the new bracket so its a bit fiddly at the mo, but i'm sure you'll cope... ;)

MSDGVK.JPG

MSD coilpack with original leads and new terminals. I'll get it to you this week - let me know what you think! (sorry its not new and shiney...)

Cheers,

Tom

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary' date='

Got this for you for testing if you would, Not on the new bracket so its a bit fiddly at the mo, but i'm sure you'll cope... ;)

[img']http://www.btinternet.com/~tommyw/Miscpics/MSD/MSDGVK.JPG

MSD coilpack with original leads and new terminals. I'll get it to you this week - let me know what you think! (sorry its not new and shiney...)

Cheers,

Tom

Missed this post Tom - Have you still got my addy?

• 2 weeks later...

Been V busy but working on it. Yes Gary, got your address, not sent them yet though.... i'll get round to it honest!

Yes you should add a resistor or theres no current limiting otherwise and you'd burn out your coild pretty quickly.

We have made our own ignition amp, so you dont need to use the original one on the backplate of the stock coilpack. This makes things alot neater, and also elimiates the need to use parts of your old pack.

Just got this testing and we'll be ready!

Kev - Yes with DTA you can run the coils direct. Turn on the internal amps in the software and you should be away. Check in the specs, but your ecu should do current limiting on those outputs and it'll eliminate the need for a ballast.

Best place for the coils is USA, much cheaper than over here.

I'll be getting a fair few in shortly for these packs, but havent got them just yet.

Cheers,

Tom.

Cheers Tom

I would like to try these, but I don't mind waiting for a premade kit actually. I believe the DTA does take care of the current limiting, and I can also run the coil on time anything from 1000 to 9000 microseconds. 3000 seems to work well on the stock pack along with some NGK copper V groove race plugs.....lovely spark.....but not as nice as those MSDs!!

Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

OK well I've decided to get this sorted myself, but cheers for the heads up Tom!

Bracket ordered from Gruvenparts.

MSD coils, Ballast resistor and 8mm HEI lead ends ordered from SummitRacing.com

40KV MSD 'GM' Blaster coils - $44 each

Pack of 9 8MM HEI lead ends - $12

Ballast resistor - $8

There are cheaper coils from Jegs.com but they're all pretty much the same. The black Jegs ones are an inch shorter than the MSDs though if packaging is a concern.

If you are running a standalone ECU you won't need the OE amplifier module and possibly not a ballast resistor either.

If you are running the stock ECU, precise details on how to mod the coilpack are here :- http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66430&st=75

The voltage from the VW amplifier on some engines needs limiting with a ballast resistor. 1.2 - 1.6 ohms should do it, or Mallory do a variable 0.7 - 1.5 ohm resistor with a 200W rating. Some coils run fine without a ballast but it's probably wise to run one. You won't quite get the full 40KV with a ballast, but it'll still be more than the stock CP's output.

Hi

I'm back!, sorry been away ages.

V busy with other stuff at the mo, but still working on this. We have been doing extensive testing, and the upshot is, the standrd ignition amp is just not good enough for the msd coils.

Problems from burnt out coils, ICM's themselves and spark plug electrodes wearing away.

As above the ballast resistor helps but isnt a great fix tbh.

We have developed out own ignition amp, and this is currently in testing, and proving a much more reliable option. Also means you dont need to incorporate the stock coilback back into the new bracket and makes for a much neater package.

Obviously theres part of me that just wants to get these out there - but I am not prepared to put my name to somethign thats going to fail, or more precisly casue something else to fail.

I would rather wait and be sure that what we are putting out there is a good long term solution, and the only way to do this is to get some miles on it!!

We will finish the bracket based on the new icm (cost for our icm is going to be in the region of £30 - not mega bucks).

Yes as well as the MSD coils there are ACCEL coils in bright yellow, and JEGS coils in black. All pretty much the same thing tbh.

Kev - This wont affect you really as your dta - so i'd appreciate your feedback on the coils in general once youve got them on, if you see an improvement in economy, smoothness and general road manners. I'm sure its of interest to those on here thinking about this mod.

You can run a bigger gap on your plugs with the larger spark of course - i'd recomend starting with .028", if you see no misses, try .030"

On another note - hope all is well for those on here, should be on a bit more again now!

Cheers,

Tom.

Cheers Tom, that's pretty much what the Americans are finding with the VW amplifier aswell.

I may still need one of your amps as I'm not sure what quality of coil amp the DTA has in it, but generally speaking the guys at DTA make their ECUs run with pretty much any coil and any injector, so I should be OK.

I'll let you know the results ASAP and cheers for the plug gap recommendations, I was wondering about those.

Made a little progress on my MSD conversion....

All the bits you need. Some form of bracket to hold them, 3 x 8224 blaster coils, 1 x pack of HEI connectors and boots and a spare set of leads (if you want to keep the originals).

MSD.jpg

First job is to snip off the Beru ends and crimp on the HEI ends. Some silicon dielectric grease helps get the boots on if you've got 8mm plug wire. If you use MSD's HEI connectors, all you need is a set of long nose pliers.

MSD_3.jpg

The finished lead set and how they sit on the coils....

MSD_6.jpg

MSD_4.jpg

I can shove these straight onto my engine, but as Tom suggests, the rest of you would be wise to wait for his better quality amplifier.

I'm really liking this mod. Should give some nice gains.