VF Engineering?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I'm looking at a VF system in the new year and I thought I'd work out the savings if we can buy from USA.

Using the numbers below straight off the VF main site

3500 USD for stage 1

United States Dollar

1 USD = 0.5111 GBP = 1788.863 GBP

Great Britain Pound

1 GBP = 1.9566 USD

So thats £1800 rounded plus taxes which I seem to recall was 20% so that makes £2250 less £126 sale discount currently makes £2124 - Obviously shipping is to be added

Are my figures correct??? As that's almost £700 saving which means you get stage 2 for free when compared to the price on your top site!!!! (Stage 2 is £645 using same conversions and taxes - excluding sale savings). Alternately as we are strong on the dollar can we have those savings locally if we use the local dealer?

Exchange site is:-

http://www.forex.ch/converter.htm

Let me know what you think and if I am correct with taxes etc etc... as seems rather a good saving really

OK well chaps, this is what I want to get down to. :)

I'm Looking at Stage2

I make it that NSRacing will do it for £3407.50 inc VAT (Regal do it for £3600 - see top link) against the buy direct price of £2769.00 (see above for calculations) All have delivery to be added one just has to travel much further :-p ! That makes it a difference of £638.50. against NSRacing price!

So a huge saving no??? Am I wrong as I am seriously tempted! I will try and find out how much they charge for shippig but I recon I still will save £500 even with the shipping costs!

That said there was a link on here with the group buy option for 2250 inc VAT by NS racing (without Software tho' what is needed or will a remap sort it?????)(£2644 if vat needs to be added)

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?136550

but that doesn't seem to have taken off really. so if there are 5 people who will sign up for that then please could you let me/us know on the other link as that will save hastle and the money too! ;)

Thanks and sorry for the long wind-ed-ness of this one!

Yes that is a good saving and you worked it out correctly. UK harmonised import codes from the US = 2.6% and VAT as you know, another 17.5%.

LFVR6's comment seems fairly typical of UK shoppers, seemingly reluctant to shop overseas assuming it's a pig load of hassle. Well it isn't, far from it.

Order something on a Monday, and it's at your desk on Wednesday morning before 10am. Where's the hassle there I ask you? :-) FedEx (who are fappin excellent) or UPS will just invoice you for the duty and VAT at a later date, so DON'T forget to budget for it. Don't think you've gotten away with it and spend it :-)

I've ordered roughly 6K's worth of kit from Schimmel in the states, which I calculated would be closer to 8K if it was sourced from the UK, inc shipping and taxes.

Take advantage of the weak dollar!

Fedex discount shipping on Mondays and also if it goes over 11lbs in weight, so save some money and do a bulk delivery.

Costs about £80 to send a 24lb parcel over, which for a 3 day service air freight is not bad in my book.

Just my 2p.....the savings are there if you can be arsed ;-)

The obvious and biggest caveat is returns if you get a faulty part, but from my experience, it hasn't happened yet.

I have sent an email to VF to see if they will price support Regal as it would be nice to be able to buy locally anyway. Plus - if we were then to have any quality issues we can deal locally rather than pop on a jet or start calling at midnight.

I'll let you all know what their response is! ;)

Well some good news. Regal are able to price support us with the strong dollar and will be letting me know what sort of price they can do.

The price on their web is fixed as they have magazine commitments and so it is worth noting that once you have seen something you want then it is wort speaking to them to see what deal they can offer.

I am chatting to a guy calld Chris who is being very supportive. Once the price lands I'll let you all know

RCF, you must be Rodney then.

I have spoken to Brandon at length regarding this. I don't want to mention prices on the forum as I have only just registered and I don't want to breach the advertising regs. so I will send you an email.

If you wish to pass on the information then that's not a problem for us!

Well gents, Here are the important extracts from Chris at Regals' mail to me.

"The kit is $3500. The cost of postage on that item is $275.Stage 1 kits ordered before the end of the year are eligible for a $250 discount on the price. This means that the USD price for the Stage 1 12V VR6 kit is $3525 currently.

We calculate our prices based on the tourist exchange rate (which as of 1pm was 1.87 USD to the GBP). I know that in theory the rate is roughly 1.96USD to 1GBP but with bank transfer rates and everything taken into account we feel that this is still a fair rate to offer and also it allows customers to calculate the price themselves if they wish.

All parcels coming into the country are subject to import duty which is 4.5% on entry. Then obviously UK VAT at 17.5% This results in a price in GBP of £2315.

Please bear in mind this is today’s price. The exchange rate is changing constantly, so prices will have to be calculated on a daily basis to really make sure we get the best deal.

If you wish to add stage 2 and 3 then just add the dollar price on their website to the dollar price above. On this particular kit postage remains the same for stage 2, but please add a further $50 for postage of a stage 3 (Includes an intercooler for this car).

I hope the price is reasonable, I know it’s not as low as the price you calculated, but it’s certainly much lower than our website price"

Back to me!

Stage2 is $1000 & S3 is $1500.

So as I am interested in S2 then I need to add another £600 (-ish) giving a total of about £2900 (-ish).

That seems like a deal to me and about £700 (-ish) savings on the web price!

I think I'll have one of those! :o

i see they offer a group buy earlier and no one took it up. They do it without software though. So is just a remap ok. I read back on the last G/buy and see the run in periods etc and keep it below x revs and the standard programming will cope. but whats this software and is it needed?

It was £2k including VAT for the stage 2 last year. Best £2k I have ever spent. It came without the software so you would require a custom remap to get the most out of it. Should be around £500 for the remap and also a good idea to get an uprated front engine mount (about £120-£150 ish) And I paid to have mine fitted because I am rubbish at that sort of thing. Cost £3k in total. Sounds like a lot but it's definately worth it.