VR6 on a diet...

Was just wondering what components of the car could be replaced with lighter items in the aid to shed weight?

Ive striped the boot and removed the spare wheel.. even took my cd-changer out. I read somewhere that you can buy a light weight battery that will save around 20lbs? Single wiper conversion... smaller wing mirrors...?

Stick it all back in and just turbo it :) Seems an odd choice of car to lighten..

Depends how far you want to go. Strip out carpet, get rid of seats and get lightweight buckets, take off all door cards, remove dash, loose glass and put in polycarbonate windows. that lot should get you about 60-70 kilos.

Tom.

Don't really want to go that extreme.. just any little bit that will help.

Turbo or Supercharge would be a great option but cost can't be justified to the other half at the moment and she sometimes drives it on the way back from pub so I don't fancy sleeping on a cold shell!

I have the lightweight battery in mine. 6Kg compared with 20Kg for my old Optima Yellow top - http://www.spturbo.com/mainpages/parts/BrailleBattery.htm

Being a dry cell, you can mount it anywhere and at any angle with no need for a vent tube.

I wouldn't remove too much weight from the nose though because all though that is a hefty lump up front, it does help with traction.

I'd just like to point out that the little battery in my application was chosen because my chargecooler sits in the place where the normal battery and screenwash tank would live, and I didn't want 20Kg of battery sitting in the boot either.

In terms of handling, it not so much total weight loss that counts, but altering the concentration of weight. I.e. taking 20Kg of battery weight off the nose will sharpen the turn-in and take a bit of load off the front suspension because it's normally forward of the axle line - where you don't want it.

On the whole though, I'm with Tom, keep the luxuries and just add more grunt :-)

To be honest mate if you sripped the whole car out & lost between 60/80kg(and that is a major diet :o ) it still wouldnt make much difference,your average british bear drinking/curry eatin lad weighs 100kg/16stone so soon as you take your mate out for a blast one saturday night you car has become a little fatty again!

Charge,Turbo or sell it & buy a bloody faster car! LOL :-d

• 2 weeks later...