800 does sound a bit steep

using mk 4 head gasket increases compression ratio but don't expect alot of gain in power... 4-5 hp you won't even notice it.

The main reason to use a mk 4 gasket is that its made from metal so is more durable and less likely to blow like the one you've got has .

Hi about this time last year my head gasket went on my highline i no mine wernt quite as much as £800 to be done at the garage and they did renew afew parts while doing it too i will look through my paperwork and get back to you on how much it was exactly but watever you do make sure the head gets skimmed and pressure tested

I have MK3 93L 90000 miles, oil in the water, the head is off, the mating surface is corroded,also some of the fibre material is missing from the chain tensioner,are these common problems? is it ok to weld and skim these heads?, I'm trying to decide whether to fix this engine or buy a 2nd hand one,any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Right, i'm now over the moon as what my local garage diagnosed as the head gasket and quoted me over £900 to be put right, The Phirm (who quoted me £500-£600) tested it and found that the coolant housing was leaking and the thermostat was sticking causing the oil temperature to run at about 120 degrees!! Anyway, they replaced both the thermostat and housing (Only £170 in the end) and the car is back to its old smoothly running self. Well pleased i took it to them to look at rather than going ahead with the head gasket!! I'll definately be using The Phirm again.