Mk2 Conversion

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

ok i've got a quick question.

i have a 90's spec 8v gti and i'l be using a Vento VR6 as the doner car

I'm thinking about changing it to cable change so i dont have to mess about cutting holes in my bulkhead.

I'm going to keep the mk3 track so i'l be using most of the mk3 stuff and the petrol tank (if needed).

what else do i need coz i've been reading / hearing conflicting info ie in regards to corrado parts needed

some people have siad i can use the cross member and radiator from the vento but other people have been saying that this is wrong and i need to source corrado cross member radiator and fans.

please help coz i want to get started on this soon as i need room as the vento is taking up my garage.

if anyone can think of anything i've missed or anything that will help me any info will be grately appreciated :D

the cross member can be either mk2 golf or corrado. the fands and rad fit from mk3/rado/vento vr's but the mk3 and vento ones need slight modding to fit. also if going cable clutch you can buy a conversion kit from tsr for 125 quid. it uses seat o2a clutch cylinder and bracket and golf 1.3/1.6 cable,try to find a cable the same but stronger as a few hard launch's will snap the cable. i may go cable clutch if i can get the part numbers then im going to get a tougher cable made. vr pressure plates are propper heavy duty apposed to the golf cable you would need to use hence the need to keep a couple of spares in the boot

Cutting the hole in the bulkhead is easy, just put in the pedal box, mark it, and drill away. The actual cylinder is quite flexible on the piston rod so it allow for some amount of error.

You would need a raddo pedal box I believe to make it easier, but I just did a bit of modification to the mk2 pedal box and it works fine.

Em to mod the mk2 one, presuming its a mk3 donor car, you have to swap the clutch pedal from the vr onto the mk2 pedal box (bit fiddly but easy enough). Then you have to extend the runner for the spring, and also get a longer spring (B&Q).

Hope iv explained it ok-its easy to see when you do it. The hardest part is getting the pedal to come back down, hence needing the bigger spring

• 2 years later...