Short Runner Intakes????

Just a thought here folks but I'd like you opinions on this.

Feel free to list the pros and cons of a short runner intake for me. I came up with the idea the other day that it may be possible to copy or create a custom short runner intake. I have access to chap who's a decent tig welder and has experience in exhaust and intake manifolds in the past. For the last couple of months I've been keeping my eye out for a 2.9 manifold but I wouldn't mind a short runner intake.

What's the performance figures with both of these and would it be of interest if I could get a decent price on a home made custom short runner?

Cheers

Baz

Shimmel do a short runner in the states.

Why not take advantage of the strong UK £££ atm!

Thease are tried and tested and worth every penny imo.

Contact darlene with any enquiries, she will be more than willing to help.

Small family run company with loads of experiance and a great rep! ; )

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/

Has anyone had any experience of those eBay specials that are being advertised at the mo?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110055415930&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D110055415930%26fvi%3D1

Are they just a pile of kak or what?

How much are people getting the Schimmel manifolds for in this country?

Jules

Just mirroring what Pete says, Schimmel are great to deal with.

I have their short runner intake on mine. I've tried it with a 12psi Vortech and got 320hp and I've also tried it normally aspirated. Now it's going to be used with a turbo :-)

In terms of normally aspirated, throttle response is instant thanks to the throttle being so close to the head and there was no appreciable drop in torque. It definitely pulled harder above 4000rpm too - compared with the stock manifold.

One thing to bear in mind with short runners is you lose the VR6 warble because the short runners quieten down the induction pulses. So if the noise a VR makes is you main reason for liking the engine, you will be dissapointed with the noise!

I approached Schimmel about a GB a while ago and they could do them for $900 each, or $175 off. This works out at £474 GBP....but plus 2.6% duty and VAT unfortunately. It's a masterpiece. Expertly designed on CAD and extremely well cast with smooth bores and no casting flash what so ever.

The manifold plenum area is also reduced at the alternator end to equalise the flow to cylinders 1 and 2.

Highly recommended, but possibly a little expensive for most people's tastes. it's definitely the best one on the market at the moment.

The manifold on ebay is a copy of the HGP one, but very badly replicated. I know this because i bought one of these very same ones from germany many months ago and was rubbish.

Excellent design tho because the air doesn't come from one end, and ideal for use with a front mount as it angles the throttle down.

Highly recomend the hgp one.

Or you could make your own using the standard intake and a bit of 3" tube, flipside customs made this one-

normal_IMAGE_060.jpg

Just out of interest. Are all the VR6/V6 TBs the same when it comes to bolting them on?

Would an R32 TB fit because it's huge?

Cheers

Baz

No, the OBD1 and OBD2 throttle bodies are different sizes, but adapter plates are available. The R32 throttle body will be useless to you as they are driveby wire

Just out of interest. Are all the VR6/V6 TBs the same when it comes to bolting them on?

Would an R32 TB fit because it's huge?

Cheers

Baz

No' date=' the OBD1 and OBD2 throttle bodies are different sizes, but adapter plates are available. The R32 throttle body will be useless to you as they are driveby wire

[/quote']

Just slapped myself for being thick. I didn't even think of that.

Cheers

Baz