How to remove steering wheel with airbag?

Did mine not that long ago, used a guide on here on how to do it (need to be a paid member to access it, £10 for a year, go on!!!)

First you need to disconnect the battery and leave for about ten mins for system to disable (better safe than sorry).

Then, im just going by memory here, i think it might be 13mm torx screw you need, to unscrew the two screws at the back of the steering wheel. this will allow the airbag unit to come out. You need to also unscrew the bottom part of the dash cover(where ur keys go into ignition, philips screw driver) to allow you to unplug/disconnect the airbag, its a yellow connection.

Once the airbag is out its kind of self explanatory, use a socket (26mm or 24mm i think) to take the wheel nut off and then put new one on.

U will notice that ur airbag light may stay on after fitting new wheel, you can either get a resistor from awesomegti, or do what i did and just pull the bulb out the airbag light ;)

Hope this helps a bit and is clear enough to understand, for clearer instructions, become a premium member, haha. :)

If the airbag light comes on and stays on the airbag may malfunction when you need it most!! If the battery is disconnected the light shouldn't come on, unless there is something wrong with the circuitry, ie. something you've done.

Make sure you leave the bolt/nut on a couple of threads when you pull the wheel off the splines, save a trip to the dentist!

If the airbag light comes on and stays on the airbag may malfunction when you need it most!! If the battery is disconnected the light shouldn't come on' date=' unless there is something wrong with the circuitry, ie. something you've done.

Make sure you leave the bolt/nut on a couple of threads when you pull the wheel off the splines, save a trip to the dentist!

[/quote']

I might not have made it clear mate sorry, but i meant when you have the new wheel on and you have disconnected the yellow airbag connector, the light stays on.

It cant do any damage as the airbag is now non-existant with the new wheel on it. :)

if the light is on then the system is disabled, this way it cant take any false signals and set the other airbags off, so if you disconnect the steering wheel and have a passenger side airbag it will not go off in the event of an accident, as for disconnecting the airbag, removing the key is enough as it cuts any power to the airbag ecu, if you want to be double sure remove the battery but no need to wait ten minutes as there is no power at all

hope this helps

I thought if you bought the resistor from awesome that the airbag syste would still work as you are just really completeing the circuit with the resistor.

Id agree that by doing what i have done and removing the bulb, the system will be disabled!!

• 2 years later...