Can't select 1st or reverse gear!

For as long as I can remember I have always had slight problem with the gearbox in my VR the usual thing of slight notchiness and a reluctance to go into 1st which was usually rectified by selecting 2nd then back to first at junctions etc, however just went to take my car out and now I cannot select 1st & reverse at all! anybody got any answers to what could be the problem and anything I could try to resolve it?

Thanks.

Get someone to sit in the car and select gears,you can then look under the bonnet and see where the cable moves on top of the gearbox.theres a 13mm nut which often comes loose which holds the cable,retighten and make sure you can select ya gears(trial and error).hope this helps as same happened to mine.

• 5 weeks later...

I tried looking for this last night (in the dark and on my own) - anyone got a pic/engine hot of where exactly i'm supposed to look?

As I look down the back, I see the exhaust to me left and the abs unit on the back to my right (leaning over the engine) - I look down and see a few bolts...?

between the battery and the engine block , above the gearbox is where the gear cables join to the box....

check the bolt that goes vertically down through the cable, not the one with the big counter weight on it ....

see pic below .. click to make bigger !!

1162984627_594_FT140238_gear_linkage_.jpg

hope this is useful . . .

i've just noticed you have a corrado - the linkage is slightly different so here is that picture .....

you may or may not have the balance weight - that is dependant on chassis number ......if you do - take it off and tighten the bolt underneath, then put it back on again.....if not just check the bolt ....

1162986212_594_FT140238_corrado_gear_linkage_.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have just bought my fisrt VR6, it had the same trouble selecting gears. I couldnt get it into reverse at all, and 1st and 3rd were very difficult to tell apart. I used this guide which I found on another thread:

http://www.houseofthud.com/shifting_gti.htm

It worked very well, just a case of adjusting the 13mm bolt until it feels right.

All the gears can be selected with ease and it feels al out tighter but I still struggle to get it into reverse gear, Its only 5 times out of 10 I can engage it first time.

Ive read through the other threadfs but am unsure about what I can check/adjust next to sort the problem out.