VR6 Vs BMW M3

Guest Olly_K

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

at the end of the day, however great vr6's are...its just not in the same lleague as an E36 M3...if you can afford one, get one. you won't miss the vr6. its actually a nice progression from the vr6 i reckon.

avoid Z bmw's (Z3 or Z4) they're awfully cramped inside, and not that nice.

oh, and if you get any bmw, do some rwd skid pan lessons first.

Guest Olly_K

lo, yeah back end out son !

the e36 m3 coupe (3.0l) has 280 odd, 5 speed gearbox, while the EVO version (3.2l) has 320 and a six speed box. You've got to respect the engine, nearly 300 bhp from an NA setup. not bad

I love the vr but the bottom line is the m3 evo is imo is superior......as for them being slow around town lets not forget they are a 5sec to 60 car and are limited to 155.....an m3 evo is standard 320bhp and will kill a vr any day but they are expensive to maintained if you use main dealers so independents would be preferable!

olly....get your self out in a couple of them and see what i mean and i'm sure you wont be disappointed

my mate is selling his if your interested :P;)grahams_m3_evo.jpg

Guest Olly_K

lol monster. tommy, can you pm me with some of the details ? cosmos black is cool, really wanted avis blue, but black is cool, is it all leathered up ? cos i'll be buggered if im gonna spend most of my time on ebay looking for set !

Olly you are forgetting one thing about BMW drivers.

Its that brain op all of them have which means after they get behind the wheel, not a single one of them has any road sense or is able to use a mirror or indicator! :-)

Sorry, but its true!

If you're after an E36 3 Series, the M3 Evo (3.2) coupe is the one to go for. Monster quick. Much quicker than a VR6, in fact, it would probably take an R32.

The M3 Evo Saloon is a bit heavier, but more stealthy (a good thing imo). These generally cost less to buy too.

Avoid the Convertible version at all costs. They are heavier (~0.5 seconds off the 0-60 and worse mpg) and much, much costlier to maintain. Power hoods fail frequently and cost £1500 to put right, testing the rollover protection system adds £150 to every service and then there's the council estate kids with stanley knives to worry about.

My last car was an E36 328i convertible, so I speak from bitter experience here. Getting rid of that infernal money pit and buying my VR6 was the best thing I ever did.

Me with no money

|

V

nicksbmwcab4.jpg

[ Edited Tue Jun 22 2004, 05:18PM ]

OllyK,

I was looking into the E36 M3 just last weekend,the evo is the one!I've test driven the E46 and that is LUSH!! i think were in the same boat dude,I just felt that life after Schrick Mods would be a lot better than it is.I've allways liked the M3 an it will deffo be my next ride,was even going to put the VR on the market last Sunday.I'm just the same as you in that i don't want to test drive anyones pride and joy befor i have the reddies up front,but what do ya do,i mean you've got to know that your doing the right thing befor you place your VR in the classifieds and give someone your pride and joy.

All said and done I'd have one in a hart beat,and it would have to be the coupe as you get better interior in some of the models!

Happy hunting

Mike. 8o)

Guest Olly_K

yeah i though even an m3 coupe 3.0l 280bhp would kill an r32. Mike, i hear ya ! if i hadn't of spent 3k on the vr on engine mods thinking it would transform it into a motor i could've had one by now !.

Yeah i've been in a mates e46 m3 and boy is that nice ! just a shame i haven't got 30k. Not sure about the evo, will have to see. More insurance innit ?

Guest Olly_K

r32's have about 240 bhp while the m3 280 or 320. Thats the problem with vw, they are not producing fast cars. we had the VR6, the V6 4Motion and the R32. all ROUGHLY in the same power class. I agree the shrick wont add that much, but what you gonna do, pay someone to take it off and put the old one back on and remap it again ? you'll of lost all your money by then ! better to leave it on. I will add about 600 quid to the price of the car and be more appealing.

Guest Olly_K

nothing in life is straight forward ! I'm really torn cos i love my vr to bits, always treated it right and i love the noise and the torque etc etc. But my yern for more power is calling :(