law on exhaust noise need help!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone know the law on exhaust noise ? ive been nicked by the very bored pigs they have told me that the car is to be the same loudness as when it came out of the factory !! ive toud them that that has got to be a load of shit cos my car was a 1.8 then, now its a 3.0 turbo how can you compare the two!! can anyone help cos they say if i get stopped again ill get 3 points

Not too sure but if you build a kit car then you are you have to have it tested by the vehicle standards agency (- I forget their initials). But I'm quietly confident you are allowed between 90 - 100dBA in order to pass that test. Might be worth looking on some kit car sites for some helpful links.

good luck

That IS a load of bo***cks mate... otherwise it would be illegal to put a s/s exhaust on any car... performance exhaust manufacturers would go out of business because they would be in court all the time. What they have said is definitely wrong about noise level being same as factory (some coppers are very intelligent)... however what is true is there is a law which states a certain noise limit that applies to ALL cars.. its probably something like 80db.. but you will have to ring up the DVLA or an MOT test centre. If I was you I would ring up your local copper shop and tell them what the coppers told you. If you do get stopped again get their badge numbers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know the law on exhaust noise ? ive been nicked by the very bored pigs they have told me that the car is to be the same loudness as when it came out of the factory !! ive toud them that that has got to be a load of shit cos my car was a 1.8 then' date=' now its a 3.0 turbo how can you compare the two!! can anyone help cos they say if i get stopped again ill get 3 points

[/quote']

What they've said is basically true. There is no dbA level a car has to fall under once its built (there is for type approval, etc) but in the MoT test its compared with the standard model, with some leeway allowable by the tester. For example, if your car was a 'sporty' model and was loud to begin with then its okay to be loud.