I hope you are patient with newbies and their stupid questions !

It's time for me to service my 1992 VR6 and after doing a forum search was horrified to see mention of a special tool to remove leads and plugs :o Is that right ? Is there no way I can change plugs using normal tools ? Do I need any other special tools to do the service my self ? Can I use Esso Ultron oil ( full synthetic ).The engine has done 212 K km.

Oh, and by the way, I can hear a slight "loose chain" kind of noise from the engine at tickover.Does that mean new chains ?

Thanks guys and girls :)

Hi, Don't be scared we are all friendly, and have all been there.

Yes, because the plugs are so deep into the engine a special tool is needed to safely remove the leads. If you take off the entire inlet manifold, I believe it is possible to get a good grip on the end of the leads.

No other speacial tools are needed for a service, IIRC.

On a high milage car like yours, the nirmal recommendation is to use a semi synthetic, as it's less thin and won't find the worn parts so easy to get past.

At 212km, if you have no history of the chains being done before, then I would have to say yes. I had a car with no history and waited to 253Km, they where in a mess and had been for some time. There is a sound clip of worn chains/tensioners on here somewhere.

TG

Success :) Found the plug removal tool !

I just had a look under the bonnet and there it was, around the arm that keeps the bonnet open !! If you consider the car is a high-mileage import, it is a major feat indeed !!

I even downloaded a template from vwvortex on how to make your own, which was very nice of them !

Success :) Found the plug removal tool !

I just had a look under the bonnet and there it was' date=' around the arm that keeps the bonnet open !! If you consider the car is a high-mileage import, it is a major feat indeed !!

I even downloaded a template from vwvortex on how to make your own, which was very nice of them !

[/quote']

The plastic ones are next to useless as they are prone to snapping and are not really long enough to do the job properly (easily).

Heres a metal one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volkswagen-vr6-plug-lead-removal-tool_W0QQitemZ160009991730QQihZ006QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem