Hello there, just after someone shedding a little light on my problem ;)

Right then this all started about 8 months ago, took my '97 golf vr6 to the body shop to get the sill welded for the mot. Had the work done but the car wouldnt start at the body shop, tried vag com, but it wouldnt communicate. Towed the car home, eventuall took the ecu out and checked feeds & earths all ok. Pluged the ecu back in fired up and checked vag com again, communicated fine and no logged faults. So then we move on several months, the car refuses to start again, take battery neg terminal off for 30 mins and reconnect car runs fine. Disconnect and reconnect again car runs on 3 cyls really rough, but NO faults on vag com (ive soaked the coil packs at night and there aint no tracking). Disconnect leave 30 mins reconnect and alls well.

Still with me?!?? We now move on to this month @ bristol volks fest. Car drives fine to show, on way out it gets uber hot and 2 miles down road it cuts out. Stop for 20 mins and it starts again fine and we get home. It refuses to start a few days later again vag com refuses to communicate. Do the batt thing and it starts again. Then a few days l8r it starts then stalls, with the engine not running the tacho is jumping between 1500 and 2500rpm! Oil light is flashing and f/pump relay is rattling in and out all the time, switch ign off and turn on again and it still doing the same. Vag com wont communicate! So disconnect the battery and it starts again. So we move onto today, my girlfriend took it to work, it got her there but wouldnt start to come home - battery trick wont work this time. I got to it try both keys (to rule out a key transponder prob) still wont fire. Disconnect ecu check feeds/earths - all ok - plug back in it fires and runs, try and drive it out the garage and it stalls and wont start :@

Please help me as i dont like using the car now as it is unreliable, and i dont want to resort to a gallon of petrol, matches and an insurance claim.

Its done 61K miles ecu was replaced 2 1/2 yrs ago, and is running a superchip with modified corrado map, ram air filter and jetex exh!

ECU is running motronic v3.8.1 AT v0.4.

Thanks.

Si

Hi Si

I can only recommend you take it to Stealth to examine the ECU. Sounds as though you have had a lot of problems (esp. for a car with your low mileage). Stealth should be able to check the map is correct because off the shelf chips can cause big problems if slightly wrong. They will also diagnose if it is anything else.

Thanks for the replies folks....

Wanted your oppions before i told you that i thought it was an ecu problem. I have a known good ecu coming tomoz so will plug it in and try.

As far as the map, well i know alot of people slate superchips but the map in it is ALL GOOD, the guy who mapped it put the corrado map in mine because the 'standard' golf map didnt have enuff fuel for my car at the top end, so thats why i have a corrado map. Its a shame as this will be the second ecu in 3 yrs. When i got the car it was a bit flat, after alot of time on the rollers it was traced to faulty embedded code in the ecu, so i had to get a new one from germany.

Ho hum.... Will try the moving the ecu plug/wiring around later on. Once again thanks for all the help so far - will keep you all posted!

Si. 8-)

Hi folks,

Just an update on the car.

Aquired an ecu, reprogrammed the immobiliser in the ecu, and off she went....For the moment.....

I spoke to stealth which was enlightening, suffice to say i will be going there in a couple of months for another remap!

Oh and i now have belt and braces - AA Breakdown cover!!! Bet it wont miss abeat now.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Regards

Si.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for all interested.

Car seems to be running ok now, and original ecu has been sent away for testing so will report on the finding when i know.

ECU based immobiliser is reprogrammable via vag com, and takes about 20 seconds to do.

I have thread details if anyone wants/has to do it.

Regards.

Si

Hello Si,

Can you pm / list the thread details

I've had a spare ecu for a while but thought I was at the mercy of vw to fit it for me.

I've had a persistent coolant temp sender problem. Changed the sender but no fix. I think theres a problem with the ecu??

Cheers,

Steve