1997 Highline needs lowering - GMAX Spring & Shock kit OR FK Highsport Coilovers?

It seems I lied, there has been a mix-up and it's not happening today (I was quite excited too!) so fingers crossed it'll be next Saturday. Suspension gets to live on my living room floor for another week! ;)

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got it back, it was finished about an hour ago so it's just been done and initially I'm pleased, it's certainly much lower than it was before. Before lowering I could easily get a fist between the tyre and the arch at the front, now it's just about two fingers and slightly less at the back. But the guy who fitted it reckons it'll settle down a little bit more over the next few days.

I've taken some very quick pics to show those who are interested but there is quite a camber on the road so I think it looks a little higher than it actually is, so the last pic is on flatter ground.

I'll give it a clean and polish and take some nice pics of the car in a few weeks when it has settled down a bit.

I haven't really driven it properly yet so I'm not too sure how it is, but in the mile or so journey coming back it felt firmer and driving around the roundabout a few times it was far less boat like! ;)

Before

1_tn.jpg

2_tn.jpg

After

3_tn.jpg

4_tn.jpg

5_tn.jpg

Looking real good mate. Looks just like mine did. I'm probably going to put the Solitudes back on for the winter. Slightly softer ride than the 17's. Suspension will settle in after while but height will not alter by too much. Glad you're happy with it. Enjoy

Kevin

Hi MarkP. Could you please tell me where you got the bump stops and the top mounts from m8. Going to lower mine using the G-Max too but on 17's.

Is anyone else running G-Max on 205/40/17's and if so are you happy with the setup. Also some pics would be nice too.

Thanks for any help thank anyone can give.

Hi MarkP. Could you please tell me where you got the bump stops and the top mounts from m8. Going to lower mine using the G-Max too but on 17's.

Is anyone else running G-Max on 205/40/17's and if so are you happy with the setup. Also some pics would be nice too.

Hello mate, I got the front and rear bumpstops and front top mounts from German Sweedish French, I think it worked out about £40 ish quid for them all in.

Mark

I am,had them on about 2 weeks now and cannot complain one bit.

Make sure you check and preferebly change your top mounts though as i didnt at the time but just have tonight, makes the ride so much better.

PS Top mounts & bearings from VW - £40 for the pair.

Chris

Got to say that was exceptionally helpful as I was/am looking at something similar.

Am I correct in reading it's future proof too for those all important 17s next year-ish. Without any other mods needed or rubbing?

If you don't mind me asking (understand if you do of course) roughly how much did it all come in at once balanced etc..? Did you do front and back tops?

Cheers

Rod

GER, here are a couple of pics of mine on 15's and 17's with G-Max suspension

1155927590_3494_FT122090_09042006171_.jpg

1155927590_3494_FT122090_my_car_july_06_007_.jpg

RCF, if you are intending to fit 17's in the future then you will need to have your arches rolled if you fit the G-Max suspension. Mine rubbed abit on the back mainly when I had weight in the back or went over a speed bump a bit fast. Not a nice sound when you've got fresh rubber on your rims.

Kevin

RCF' date=' if you are intending to fit 17's in the future then you will need to have your arches rolled if you fit the G-Max suspension. Mine rubbed abit on the back mainly when I had weight in the back or went over a speed bump a bit fast. Not a nice sound when you've got fresh rubber on your rims.

Kevin

[/quote']

Really? - Oo bugger,was that after they had settled in then? as my 17's dont rub...Perhaps it due to the large offset of your rims?

Chris

Spindat-Dub thanks for the pics. Looks great.

Just spent the day fitting my G-Max 40vw25's using the Haynes manual and this guide http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?121162

which was very helpful indeed considering i have no experience in this at all.

I suggest to anyone who plans to do this with manual hand tools to soak all nuts and bolts concerned with ample amounts of WD40 the night before you start.

I also am running 17's (205/40/17) with a 40mm drop and I have not yet experienced any rubbing (early days though).

Also very happy with the ride but will have the camber and tracking done in a few days.

I will get a few pics up myself soon. Well, after a thorough wash and auto-glim.

Next up... Exhaust. May try and fit myself also. Got a bit of a taste for it now 8-|

Good note on the WD40. Will be doin that then as I dont think anything has ever been replaced. (Low miles just hit 59k this week).

It would b cool if you could post a note in a week or two once you got the alignment sorted/settled down and let us know if rubbing is happening and therefore if i need to limit the offset on the rimms.

Good luck with the exhaust but would say read the warranty first as some state you must have professionally fitted. Means you then get replacement parts for free ;)

Really? - Oo bugger,was that after they had settled in then? as my 17's dont rub...Perhaps it due to the large offset of your rims?

Chris

My bad Chris. You are quite right about the offset. I can't remember what the offset is on TT competition alloys but that is why I had rubbing. Some people on here who have used different suspension set ups and the same wheels as me have not had any rubbing probs but I think that is due to having a stiffer ride and therefore less suspension travel.

Kevin

Spindat-Dub thanks for the pics. Looks great.

Just spent the day fitting my G-Max 40vw25's using the Haynes manual and this guide http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?121162

which was very helpful indeed considering i have no experience in this at all.

I suggest to anyone who plans to do this with manual hand tools to soak all nuts and bolts concerned with ample amounts of WD40 the night before you start.

I also am running 17's (205/40/17) with a 40mm drop and I have not yet experienced any rubbing (early days though).

Also very happy with the ride but will have the camber and tracking done in a few days.

I will get a few pics up myself soon. Well' date=' after a thorough wash and auto-glim.

Next up... Exhaust. May try and fit myself also. Got a bit of a taste for it now 8-|

[/quote']

GER, you may not need to roll your arches. It will depend on the offset of you 17's. Offset being how far the wheel sticks out under the arch (technical term) :) As Zorro reminded me, my rims do have quite a large offset.

If you are considering changing the exhaust yourself you may have to cut the old one off if its original. When I changed mine at 97,000 + miles, I found myself removing the original systen which was in one piece from the second box back to the rear pea shooters. Its not possble to get that section off the car unless it has already been cut to fit a new back box, for example. I had to give VW there dues as there was nothing wrong with what I took off after 10 years on the car. None of the baffles were rattling and it wasn't blowing anywhere. Do the WD40 thing the night before on all clamps and rubber mounts and be prepared to change some if not all of them.

Kevin