hi guys

just after a bit of help

i've just noticed i have a water leak coming from just above the gearbox and next to the coilpack and at the front of the engine just wondering is this the water pump if so does it mean i have to replace or could a gasket have gone

thanks john

Hi John,

Sounds like the thermostat housing. The main water pump is at the other end of the block and the additional one is behind the coilpack. Does it look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VR6-thermostat-housing-AAA_W0QQitemZ4624316333QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Splits/cracks in the housing are not uncommon.

TG

• 2 months later...

Coil pack off and moved out of way with HT leads attached, plastic manifold cover off. 7 Bolts so far! Pull the hoses off, unplug the sensors, undo the three bolt that hold it on. there you go! I replace the whole thing cos mine was leaking through a pinprick hole in the housing. Very easy, like the man said Allen key and pump pliers!

I replaced all the o rings, there are three for the sensors and blank, one between the two halves of the housing, one between housing and block, and one on the housing where it connects to the plastic pipe that goes off to the left. Yeah it does seem that way, there are a few weak spots. oil leaks around oil cooler, coil packs, ignition switch, from what i can tell so far!

Just thought I'd confirm a few things....water leak was due to a damaged thermostat housing where it bolsts on to the block...seal had been "sucked" in and leaked, I've had the car 3 years and it just suddenly does this !

New Housing was £18 from GSF O rings and Thermostat added another £14 and the correct antifreeze was another £18. Replacing it as previous post suggests was about 2 hours...although I ended up using jubilee clips rather than try and get those b'stard clips back on the hoses !....Fingers crossed all seems ok.

Thanks for the advice/guidance.