Z Engineering ZR2 Questions

Just got the kit installed. Its an 96 Golf VR6 Colour Concept.

Ive got a Z-engineering chip. The engine is completely stock.

Can I use a obd1/Corrado VR6 4 bar/57psi fuel regulator?

And the MAF... Before or after the charger?

Right now I drive with the MAF before the charger, and with VAG 4 bar fuel regulator. The car does NOT run smooth on lower RPM`S, and I have black/brown smoke coming out of the exaust when idling...

Getting pretty tired off all the mistakes and all the problems Ive had since the installation off the kit.

Can anyone help me out? !shy

If you have the maf before the charger you have to have it at least 8 inches before the charger impeller. You need to run a recirculating DV as well or you'll run rich and the car will stall a lot. Pic:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v406/corradovr6sc/?action=view¤t=z-chargermafrelocation.jpg

Thank you. So there is the reason why it runs so rich.. B) But with the MAF after the charger, I dont need a BOV?

It runs rich because the maf sees too much air if it's too close to the charger. A diverter valve prevents air from spiralling down onto the maf by directing the air towards the impeller and away from the maf.

You don't need a bov with the maf after the charger but if you don't fit one you might find it doesn't boost as fast when you get on the throttle. Personally I prefer the before the charger location as its super smooth and the diverter valve prevents the air from travelling against the flow of the charger.

I cant wait to get this up and running like it should:)

Thank you very much so far ;)

We have almost 70 cm with snow here in Oslo right now,and I dont have any place indoors for the car right now. And im working nightshifts. So im gonna relocate the MAF when I have some time off.

Just talked to a guy from the VwAudi-club of Norway, and we agreed to hook the car up with wideband lambda. So I hope we will figure it out.

But when Im thinking off having the MAF after the charger, I just cant understand that its gonna work any better B) Its still gonna be alot off air going through the MAF..

When I had the maf after the charger, the car had a really rough idle and was very jerky on part throttle. Everything was ok when you put your foot down but otherwise it was a pig to drive. So I relocated it and ran a dv and it made the world of difference. Now I had a smooth idle and it was just like a standard car on part throttle with no jerking.

Notice all current s/c kits place the maf before the charger. There's a good reason for this.

I'm obd 1 btw, which is more fussy than obd 2. Are you obd 1 or 2? If you are obd 2 you may find it runs ok with the maf after the charger. I'd try both methods and see what works best for you. Let us know how it goes.

I USED TO HAVE A ZR2 CHARGER AND I HAD RUBBER PIPE COME FROM THROTTLE BODYCONNECT TO MAFF WHICH WAS UPSIDE DOWN 4 PIN PLUG WAS UNDER NEATH AND A HOSE FROM MAFF TO CHARGER AND A RUBBER HOSE ON SIDE OF CHARGER WITH AIR FILTER AND MINE RAN PERFECT UNTIL I UPGRADED

Ok last night "02.30am" I got the MAF located after the charger, and start the car up!

I was walking around it 3 times to check everything and YES, it was idling as it should. And it was not idling rich. The only "issue" I have, is that I can hear the airfilter making the same noise as a military rifle when I touch the trottle and the engine is cold. Its on low rpm`s and it feels like the respons "hasitates" abit...

when the s2 owners go for big hp,they always put the maf after the charger,only problem is they can rip the maf wires,but idle and part trottle is way better,only need a little adjustment on the rollers.

i england they have the s2 tuner mihnea he is the master when it comes to chipping an s2

when the s2 owners go for big hp' date='they always put the maf after the charger,only problem is they can rip the maf wires,but idle and part trottle is way better,only need a little adjustment on the rollers.

i england they have the s2 tuner mihnea he is the master when it comes to chipping an s2

[/quote']

Audi S2 Avant.... That is gonna be my next car 8)

But its my six`th year as a VR6 owner, and im happy.

And yes, we do have fast S2`s in Norway !lol

http://www.vsmotor.no/galleri.html

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2254462119020077794&q=audi+norway

• 3 months later...

Just seen this thread. I have a z charger on obd2. At the moment my maf is after the charger and exactly as you said, it runs rich and is really jerky on part throttle and the fuel economy is awful (19mpg tops). So yesterday afternoon i had a play at relocating. Car was so much smoother and on my test run saw 30mpg.

BUT... i think it might have been running lean as it didn't pull anywhere near as hard past 4k. It's probably a little closer than 8 inches and i didn't run a DV. Plus after putting VAG-Com on, i think my lamda is dead.

So, 2 questions for anyone who's kind enough to answer:

1) Why was it not pulling like it did when the maf was after the charger?

2) Where would i put the dv? And where do you take your vac feed from?

Hi.

Answer on question 1, I guess is your dead lambda.

When the lambda is dead, the ECU is running in a emergency operation just to get the car going. The mixture off air and fuel is a mess.

Question 2, where you take your vacum feed from? I guess its from the fuel pressure regulator. And if you have a OBD2 engine, you MUST use an obd1 FPR. 4 Bar. The obd 2 is only 3, and that is not keeping up.

I have the maf after the charger, with now dv and it runs absolutely awesome. No troubles at all.

But im curious, how I can fit an DV when the MAF is after the charger..?

Here is some pics from my setup: http://www.vwaudi-club.no/?s=CarProfile&CarID=2283

1.Should run as well. Have you checked for boost leaks? Is the maf and wiring ok? Speaking from personal experience, the power was equally good with the maf before and after, but as you say the driveability was much better with it before.

2.You have to buy a t-piece (which goes in the position where the maf used to be) and a hose which goes back into the charger intake.You can take the vac feed off the brake booster or t-off the fuel pressure regulator.

cheers for the reply guys. :)

Could be a boost leak i guess, i'll have a look at that tomorrow night. Will get the piping made up and give the DV a go. And yes, i think i'm still running a 3bar fpr. Worse than that, i think i'm still running a standard fuel pump from a 1.8 8v gti!

Needless to say, i didn't build the car, just trying to sort out all the faults! haha.

Does anyone on here go to no rice in fleet?

i checked yest and it has a 4bar. It's an early engine but with obd2 throttle and management. Still need to sort out fuel pump though.

And yeah, just the z-eng chip i think.

Will break out my cam at the weekend and post some pics. :D

Have you found your cam :-p

i checked yest and it has a 4bar. It's an early engine but with obd2 throttle and management. Still need to sort out fuel pump though.

And yeah' date=' just the z-eng chip i think.

Will break out my cam at the weekend and post some pics. :D

[/quote']