OK guys, latest update on my highline

just went to the garage after he told me to come down....

he showed me a hole in the gearbox (bell housing i think he called it) and the previous cowboy that bolted the gearbox back on tightened the screw sooo much that it has pierced the water jacket in the engine block.

so this means....

i now need a new engine and gearbox for my VR6.

although i feel totally bummed.. i am not going to sell the car as it is to ANYONE as it felt so horrible to find out for myself.

i have a few questions:

1) does it have to be a highline engine or can it be any OBD2 engine? what about engine code?

2) does anyone know where i can find a good engine/gearbox??

i want to buy the unit (engine and gearbox) as a whole from somewhere and thats what i am looking for, the closer to london the better as i will not buy it without my mechanic taking a look.

please help me get back on the road.

thanks guys .... :(( :(( :((

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks mate, will keep that in mind, only prob is my car is sitting in this garage and is stripped apart, not only is it taking up space but i find this mechanic to be very reliable and understanding.

i will get quotes for a bottom end rebuild but i dont think anyone will repair a punctured water jacket as its the side walls of the engine ... or will they?

i am sure its been done before! depend how bad it is and how accesable the damage is i suppose, some salvage places will only sell you the "chopped off" front of a car anyway so it cant go back on the road, maybe you could consider a corrado engine as they are more likely to be written off if damaged due to expensive panels, i am sure i saw a front half of a corrado at gti international last year on a trailer! and they are 2.9!!! now theres a thought! as far as i am aware its just the engine code thats different but even if the anciliaries are different you have them all on your engine and the block and head will be the same ;)