So, im just about to sort my gearbox out, and wondered if anyone is running a lightened flywheel or uprated clutch. ive been thinking about this flywheel [link]http://www.ridgewayracing.com/VR6.html at 12.5lbs its 5lbs lighter than standard so hopefully should give a boost of acceleration. I was also thinking about a black diamond clutch, but ive been told that standard is strong enough for around 250lb/ft of torque anyway, so im undecided on this.

any info would be appreciated. thanks.

You are right about the standard clutch being good for 250lb/ft, so unless you are running close to 220 then i'd stick with standard. Seeing as a vr only makes 170 without mods, its unlikely you've modded it that much?

as for fly wheels try this:

AUTOTECH LIGHTWEIGHT STEEL FLYWHEELS

VW's G60 (22 lbs.), VR6 (17 lbs.), and A4 Chassis 1.8T (20 lbs.) flywheels are notoriously heavy and can easily stand to shed a few pounds. Autotech now offer the perfect solution: Lightweight Steel Billet Flywheels.

The result? A motor that revs to redline much faster!

Our CNC machined 228mm lightweight flywheels are beautifully crafted from steel blanks for the utmost in strength and weight savings. Our G60, VR6 & 1.8T flywheels weigh only 10 pounds!

Unlike some competitor's units, Autotech's lightweight flywheels are not 'reconditioned' stock cast flywheels. Besides, there is no core charge hassle!

We chose steel rather than aluminum for a few important reasons: cost savings, durability, and drivability. The ultra lightweight aluminum flywheels can actually be too light, and make it difficult to get the car rolling (no inertia!). A one-piece steel unit is much more durable and does not have the problems associated with using a bolt-on steel friction plate most aluminum flywheels use. Finally, our steel flywheels are about half the cost of a competitor's quality aluminum version.

Autotech's G60 & VR6 flywheel kits are designed to retain the original starter ring gear (just transfer it over) and are supplied with new dowel pins and mounting hardware.

The stock clutch in a 1.8T is 220mm diameter and uses a dual-mass flywheel system. Our 228mm flywheel for the 1.8T requires that you upgrade the clutch to a stronger 228mm type. The 1.8T flywheel kit also comes with a new starter ring gear, as the original one cannot be transferred. We also sell the starter ring gear separately.

10.105.100K 228mm G60 L / W Flywheel $229.95

10.105.150K 228mm 1.8T L / W Flywheel (includes starter ring gear) $309.95

10.105.200K 228mm VR6 L / W Flywheel $229.95

10.105.110 New spare starter ring gear $79.95

7lbs of weight lost doesn't amount to much really though does it, i mean my new parcel shelf weighs double that! The advert isn't lying, it will rev faster, but marginally. Also, would this not have an adverse affect on torque?? Anyone know?

7lbs on the flywheel does make a difference coz its not the actual weight loss on the car that counts but the reduction in energy the engine wastes just revolving the fly - Id think it does reduce torque coz it makes the car rev more freely. Myself i'd only have it with a Schrick as this would counteract the expected torque loss